Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty 1968 Roadrunner

Scottnkat

Here is the current status of the chassis:

DSCN1028a.jpg

I will be using putty to blend to pieces covering the main part of the underside so it will appear as one piece. Also, the cut out for the fuel cell is done so it will fit right in.

Edited by Scottnkat

It's looking so cool, Scott. Did you find out anything on the intake?

Well, I checked all my kits and a few other people opened up some nice sealed Jo-Han kits looking for me, but it seems nobody makes that intake manifold. So I am still working on making one. It doesn't have to be perfect since it will mostly be covered by the air cleaner. Still, I have to try to make it resemble the part it's supposed to be. I may have an update to that in the next day or so.

Thanks for the pics, Robert.

Tommy and Jacen, thank you for the info on those kits. I have searched my extra kits, but don't have one of those old MPC kits. So, I may be stuck with my homemade version - not as pretty, but it will still work. :)

Well, I've been trying to do these builds with a degree of accuracy, but within my limited one-income/six kids budget - although I would like to strive for accuracy, there are some areas that I will simply have to concede and make concessions - the intake manifold is one of those.

But on the bright side, here's a pic that shows the back of the chassis pretty darn well - looks like at least most of the fuel cell was covered as well:

isaac769sm.jpg

So I have decided to cut the fuel cell I had built out of this build and just cover it up!

Here's where we are with the chassis now. Based on the photo above, I have removed the gas tank so the fuel cell will fit flat and I can cover the back part of the fuel cell appropriately - yes, it will still be there, but covered up a bit.

DSCN1034a.jpg

I have also started work on the engine itself

DSCN1035a.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat

That looks so cool, Scott. I was gonna offer to let you borrow my Mopar or no car" dvd. It has a very good view of Pete Hamilton's '70 Superbird engine that shows the intake up close & personal,lol. Looks like you have some decent ref pics, but your welcome to use it if you want.

And the chassis is done for now. I had to finish building the front part of the rollcage around the engine and was test fitting and trimming the fuel cell so I can put that on and still have the back end covered by sheet "metal". I also painted the whole bottom so I could get an idea of how "flat" this was and if it needed further work. Besides, it just looks prettier than all that blue and white and grey....

I was going to paint the sheet metal in a steel color, unless someone knows what color it should be. I know the pics are in black and white, but it seems that it is not the same Petty blue that the body is - hence why I think I'll be painting it silver.

DSCN1038a.jpg