Model Cars Magazine Forum

best kit for a flat 4 or 6 engine

I have a 1/24 VW Samba bus I'm trying to hotrod...in what kits would I find a really good turbo flat 4 or 6?...Was thinking Porsche for the flat 6 or Subaru for a flat turbo 4, but don't want to go randomly buying kits when someone here might be able to steer me...Thanks!

Fujimi's Enthusiast Series 911 kits often had nicely-detailed engines, but you'd probably be on your own as far as any detailing/plumbing beyond what the kits had to offer.

Revell's STI has a decent engine in it, but you'd again be on the hook for a lot of fab work to adapt it to the Bus.

Why not do up a turbo VW engine, based on the Tamiya '66 Beetle or Ghia? There's lots of good reference material available on the web, and I can send you links to some good spots.

got no problem with fabrication/detailing/plumbing...just want something better then the half-engine-molded-with-firewall that's in the kit and figured if I'm upgrading, why not UPGRADE... :) anyway...a good turbo VW would do...so the Tamiya '66 beetle would be a good complete base engine to start with?

so the Tamiya '66 beetle would be a good complete base engine to start with?

IMO yes....and I happen to have an unassembled one that I can spare. PM or email me with any trade ideas.

I used a Tamiya engine as the basis for my V-Bucket's drivetrain:

da_bucket1-vi.jpg

Heck, get one of the Heller/Testors/Union Porsche 917K kits and REALLY Hot Rod it! :lol:

If I'm going to do that, I could always steal the V10 out of my Porsche Carrera GT...I could make it fit! ;) (might lose the back seats though...and the middle seats...hmmm...)