Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Nova

I've always felt that the AMT Nova (built one back in 67) was lacking in structural support, so I just look at what the funny cars and the match racers of the birth of funny cars were doing...so I added support on the front frame, painted red with silver to show "worn" areas that tools scraped off the paint, aluminum interior...match racer!! The first funny cars were running wild with nitro fed blown hemis, S.O.H.C.'s , Pontiacs, Olds and Chevy's. Go as fast as you can, put on a good show, and if you win, you had braggin' rights. The cars without factory sponsors, had under the counter help from the factory, but it was all hush hush. Mopar ruled the roost, but eveyone was knocking on their door...east, west, north and south. Weekends were tops, but there were the mid week (usually Wednesday night) as the hot shots were passing thru, a mid week match race was possible at a local strip and anything goes. Usually 3 out of 5 if time provided, but they seemed to be scripted for someone to win...usually the local yokel...home town hero. But, have top names facing off, it was gloves off racing.

My Nova is in that catagory. Nitro fed BBC, blown and ready to roll. The bubble hood is from the '65 Galaxy, everything else is is from the parts box. Still needs wiring, fuel lines, and what not. Paint wil be a golden Lemon metal flake (ala 60's) with a 4spd and color tint windows (orange/red). Crazy colors from the 60's...everything was new, and it was open to everyone... the hunt for the big bucks.

post-6747-0-28433800-1332990535_thumb.jp

Edited by Rrrrrrumps

Injector hat...understood, but I've had my fill of four holers..granted they are more period correct, but there are the 3 holers that were coming into the scene in the late '65's and on into the future. The early 3 holer injector hats had the three ribs on the top of the hat. Now as for size, I'm not sure on how big/little the 3 holer is when compaired to the same hat as today. I just look at pics from that period and guage what was going on, and try to make something that is within the same concept. It's a model...and I'm just trying to present something of that period...with a little builder's choice. Looking at some of pictures from that period, one car that I tried to use as a guide was Steve Bovans Nova. I guess I could put ribs on...naaaaww.