Model Cars Magazine Forum

More work on the Revell Kurtis Midget!

Art Anderson

It's starting to come together now! First up is the instrument panel: I used the kit photo-etched overlay on top of the decal instruments--so far so good, but something was missing. The instruments just didn't look right without lenses, so I added my own almost-trademark clear epoxy lenses--that makes the dials really pop right out!

midgetdashboard1-vi.jpg

Next up, the radiator: Revell's instruction sheet is a bit in error here, as race car radiators were seldom (if ever!) painted back in the day--unlike ordinary passenger cars. Racers knew back then that the black asphaltum paint used on production car radiators actually reduced the cooling capacity of the radiator, and in addtion--on dirt tracks of the day, it was not uncommon to pick up a small stone or two--and if one of those came through the grille, a radiator repair job in the pits was a given! So the top and bottom tanks, and the sides of the radiator are gold, for raw brass; while the core is Testors Copper.

I was given a set of custom-made decals (the subject matter will be revealed at NNL-East!), with the #5 decals. Unfortunately, I didn't specify the shade of yellow for the numbers, and they washed out pretty much when applied. So, drawing on years of experience, but something I've not done in 27 years, I overpainted the decal numbers by hand using techniques learned from an excellent article in Rod & Custom Models by the legendary Don Emmons from LA. I chose black outlines with Testors gold for the numbers themselves (the outlines need some touchup for precision now that the overpainted decals are on the tail of the midget).

KurtisMidgetrearview1-vi.jpg

The lettering technique is something I think begs for more practice for me to perfect it once again, and perhaps a posting here, or mebbe an article for the magazine (?)

Art