Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Built Modified

rudimen

If one uses any pre-made kit or aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period. As Harry pinted out in another topic in which the builder made the same "scratchbuilt" claim, If it started out as a defined shape (such as a wheel, a battery, a '32 Ford body, etc.) it's not scratchbuilt, regardless of it's source.

As always, err on the sie of caution, and chose a more humble path when describing your builds and your work will be moer openly and warmly accepted. Describing this build as a "modified with scratchbuilt parts" in the description would've allowed you to mention that you put in some some extra effort by creating some parts from scratch, while avaoiding the bogus claim of the model as a whole being scratchbuilt. Most people can tell at glance what came from a kit and what didn't, so let your work speak for itself...and for you.

You said "If one uses any pre-made kit or aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period." The builder of the Freight Train Dragster says in the article he used aftermarket parts and says many are after market resin castings So going by what you said about using "aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period" You won't call the Freight Train Dragster scratch built.

You said "If one uses any pre-made kit or aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period." The builder of the Freight Train Dragster says in the article he used aftermarket parts and says many are after market resin castings So going by what you said about using "aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period" You won't call the Freight Train Dragster scratch built.

That is correct, I would not. I would call it "mostly", "almost totally", or "99.9%" scratchbuilt.

Take a look through the OTW section and see what Ken from MN(?) does- that is the true definition of a scratchbuilt model(s) to me.

One other thing in regards to the side bars you made out of aluminum. I saw K&S Engineering tubing benders, three sizes per package, at Hobby Lobby yesterday, so you may want to give those a try and see if they'll help you get kink-free bends.