Model Cars Magazine Forum

been 3 weeks and alot of research to make this kit...... custom made fuel lines, throttle linkage, and shifter, also added pinstripes on frame the assembled pic is a dry fit while body paint cures before i do decals clear coat and metal foil..........

post-9983-0-77970800-1338483690_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-98938400-1338483701_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-93769100-1338483720_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-74593900-1338483732_thumb.jp

post-9983-0-03846900-1338483747_thumb.jp

Last year my fiance, her brother and myself went to Midwest 4x4 while we were visiting her brother in St.Louis. Of course BIGFOOT 5 was on display, but so was FASTTRAX, and BIGFOOT 1 was in the parking lot! Plus, when I was buying my souviners Jim Cramer came out from the shop and I got to talk to him for a minute.

You did right by going for Bigfoot 3 with this kit, it's closer to 3 than it is to any other truck. Still there are some issues though. First, Bigfoot 3 had an engine with Boss heads for its entire lifetime as a competition truck, you can always tell 3 from 4 or 6 and 7 by the Boss heads since they had regular 460 style heads with Bigfoot cast into them. The engine in the kit is totally wrong, it's an FE family engine (390,427,428) with 385 series (429, 460,514) valve covers intead of being the correct 460 based engine in the actual truck. Second, the non-planetary chrome wheels in the kit were never used with the body in the kit. Around the same time that the truck was rebodied with the 87-92 style body it was also updated to planetary hubs like Bigfoot 4 had. It wouldn't be very hard to make the correct hubs since the hub faces used were just flat pieces of steel with eight or ten bolts around the edge.

Here is a great source for monster truck photos, almost every truck ever made is shown here although some of the sections are a little disorganized:

http://monsterphoto....com/gallery.htm

Here is a link to a history of Bigfoot 3:

http://www.bigfoot4x...f3_history.html

Here is a pic of Bigfoot 3 with the original body showing the Boss valve covers and the non-planetary chrome wheels:

BF3-14.jpg

Here is a pic of Bigfoot 3 with the body in the kit with the planetary hubs and white wheels:

bigfoot387.jpg

Here is a pic of Bigfoot 3 today. It was sold as an almost bare chassis sometime between 2000 and 2004 and was robodied and repowered first as the Dixie Thumper and now Legend.

bf3now.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

in my pic of 3 with the small truck beside it it dont have planetaries it was taken just after rebody.....and as far as the engine goes you are right but it does match another bf so i just made it like that

I was just giving you some more resources for pics and things, your build looks really good. I have some mirrors from the Monogram Bronco I can send you, they will be a touch out of scale but will be the correct style, pm me your address and I will get them out to you the first of the week.

Unfortunately Dennis doesn't know 3 from 4 from his own behind, half of the pics he has listed as 3 are 4. The tell is that 3 has a drop in the frame under the cab because it used a strengthened stock truck frame where 4 used the straight frame rails from a semi truck. Look at the frame right under the rear corner of the front fender of the first pic compared to the same spot on the second pic. The first pic is 3 the second is 4.

bigfoot387.jpg

Bigfoot4-5.jpg

Here is a long bed 80-86 truck I made using a Quadzilla kit and two Monogram Broncos. You have to use two Broncos the get the correct length behind the rear wheels. On Ford truck beds the distance from the rear wheels to the end of the bed stays constant between the short bed and long bed and flareside bed , all of the difference in length is added at the front of the bed, but the Bronco rear is too short to be correct. To get the length and proportions correct I used the bed side from the Monogram 87-91 extended cab long bed and cut the Broncos to match that bed side. If you wanted it in 1/25 you could probably use two of the AMT 80 Broncos that were recently rereleased and any of their 92-96 bodied trucks to get the cab roof, rear and glass. I don't have an AMT Bronco kit to test this, it's just a guess.

80ford.jpg

100_0285.jpg