Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevrolet SSR Suburban

Billy Kingsley

Here's an on-again/off-again project that I am really starting to get into.

I'm taking an RMR (Race Motor Replicas) resin kit and a Revell kit, putting them togther to get a phantom "What If" build in the end.

Way back when the SSR was new, I painted one the funky teal color that you see on the hood, cowl and side view mirrors. I was in a rush, didn't properly attach it to the rack, and into the wet grass it went. I lost interest in the project and didn't go back to it.

When I met Ron Andrews at RMR some time later, I bought this resin kit from him instantly. I knew I was going to combine the botched Revell kit with the resin kit but I didn't really work on it until tonight.

I have to say, in my limited experience with resin...that this is one of the best fitting conversions imaginable! Ron and Steve did a great job on this!

The resin kit was done with a custom in mind...it came with what I believe is an "outlaw" cowl hood, and a smooth cowl. That just didn't fit my vision for this build, and it was time to get out the razor saw! The hood was a simple swap, the kit hood fit PERFECTLY with no modifications to resin or plastic needed. The cowl, on the other hand, needed a bit more work.

I cut down directly at the bottom of the windsheild frame, and there is a ridge in the other half, which I cut at the lowest point. Some super glue, and it was done...it was just that simple! Now it's starting to look like a factory stock vehichle, if that could happen.

Underneath the body, some minimal work was also nessicary. The interior tub fits the Revell chassis without any modification needed, but to get the underhood details there was more diffacult. Some of the parts are molded into the interior pan, which I had to cut off. I had to cut off some more plastic but that was also pretty simple. I then glued them onto the inside of the fenders.

That's about it!

It's going to be a little diffacult to get the headlight buckets in, but I don't think it'll be impossible.

The plan is to make it as factory stock as possible, and when done it'll wear a coat of bright yellow paint. I plan to prime it tomorrow. The current plan is to paint the interior the simple color of Tamiya Gray primer! :) My other kit, which will be built box-stock, will be a matching kit, but in bright red. Once I find it in the stash!

I put the chrome bit in the grill just for the photos...it's not ready to be installed yet but it makes it look better!

July2007220-vi.jpg

July2007221-vi.jpg

July2007223-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Ben and Tom!

Not much in the way of updates for a while, I got it primed last night, but need to put another coat, and I'm out of it...Won't be able to get any until the end of next month...and I'm also out of Tamiya gray for the interior, but I can get that this week, I think.

Thanks!

Tom, you are right...Anything they have in the lineup is well made and could easily be turned into a cool build!