Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harbor Freight gravity fed gun

Just stopped at Harbor Freight to pick up a pin vise and teeny drill bit set, and came across a gravity fed (4 oz. cup) spray gun for $14.99. It'll be a while before I can try it out, but for $14.99, I figure it'd be worth a try. :D

Hey Phil, I have a Quick change air brush, comes with 5 bottles and you can change paint bottles while you are painting.

also got mine at Harbor Freight, real cheep. It is the second H.F. airbrush for me. they work good. but I've only used it with flat paints. I use my badger airbrush for gloss paint.

I used to work for a company that makes high-end custom cabinets (like in $30,000-40,000 sets of cabinets for one single kitchen... :D ) and they use boatloads of cheap spray guns, probably very similar to the one you got, for special finishes and touch-ups. They use them simply because it costs less to throw away a cheap gun than to maintain an expensive gun, when they are too clogged up to work they just go in the trash bin. The guys in the spray room said that they work great, and I don't doubt that considering the kind of work I saw them do. And of course, they loved the fact that they didn't have to do all the tedious maintenance work. B) It may not give you the perfect control you need for custom painting a car or a model, but as you said: For $14.99 it's sure worth a try.

Harbor Freight.... also known as "The Made in China" store! Be careful you don't take anything purchased there internally as it could be loaded with lead or other poisons! :D

I have a Chevy 350 project on a Harbor Freight $35 (on sale) engine stand right now, and I'm telling you, it looks much better than what I have seen for twice that much from other places. I won't put it in my mouth though. :lol:B) You need to know what you're looking for and what you need when you buy from them, that's for sure, but they do have some very good deals. As long as you don't think that their $14 cordless drill is professional grade (as they might state), you'll be fine. I think the problem people have with their products is that they expect them to be better than they are, but if you need an angle grinder for a one-time project and you know that you'll never need it again, it's the way to go. It's usually cheaper than renting.

If it s the one i think, its the same one i have. I actually just used it last night to clear some parts. It works pretty good. The one I have has the purple body with the cup on the side.

What kind of compressor did you use, and at what pressure? I'm not sure my compressor has enough gumption to work it.

This one:

92126.gif

Yep thats the one. So far so good. Im happy I bought it. I plan on using it exclusivly for clear coating.

I just picked up a new compressor at home depot. Its a 100psi max compressor with twin 1 gallon tanks. It also brings an air line, fittings and a small nail gun. It ran about $70. I have been spraying at 30psi and the gun has been working well.