Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tutorials about modifying tires

I don't know of a tutorial right off hand, but I tend to think that narrowing vinyl tires could be done very carefully by mounting on a wheel, mounting the wheel in a drill-motor, and VERY carefully slittlng the tire almost all the way through with a brand-new X-acto (two slits actually, the width of the amount you want to narrow). Then finish cutting all the way through freehand, sand the cut-faces true and flat with 400 grit glued to a flat surface, then reattach the halves with whatever glue will work.

I've narrowed some HARD plastic tires using a similar technique, and it works great.

As far as resizing goes, I've been able to open up many vinyl tires inside diameters to fit larger diameter wheels than they were designed for. Again, VERY careful work with a sharp, fresh blade is the key. I have a lot of finger scars to show for it, by the way. And you need to use a wheel that has a rim lip that will hide minor irregularities in the tire center. An example is old AMT 16" wheels from the '40 Ford, mounted in tires made for 14 or 15 scale-inch rims, to get a right-looking set of vintage big-and-little wide whites.

I'd be interested in seeing the responses about resin-casting tires as well. There are some one-only-copies I have of special rare tread patterns that I'd like to duplicate. A two-part mold is required to do a tire, and careful parting-line location is necessary as well. Mold filling without having a big sprue-mark is also an issue. One thing I'm certain of is that flexible casting-resins are available.

• 3 years later...

Hello AGg

I'm looking for answers on the correct way to evenly trim out or enlarge tire openings.

I've recently ordered a ModelHaus '85 Impala full kit with some of their T-196 tires.

Carol has recommended those tires to get the desired factory stock look I want to end up with, but warned "depending on your modelling skill" to get them to fit the hubcaps and wheel backs.

I've presumed that trimming will be necessary.

Other than a sharp blade; and band aids what else would you recommend?

I'll post pics of these sessions (and injuries) as I progress.

Thanking you in advance

2n3 1/4