Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kit has the best Buick Nailhead motor

Looking for a well detailed Buick nailhead motor to swap into a project. prefer with some mild hop up parts and chrome parts but all-clad would do in a pinch. motor would go in the new Revel Merc.

Thanks I was thinking the riv or maybe the 62 Electra, The as far as I know the riv is out in a couple of differnt boxes is the ngine the same in all the versions? anybody have any pics to share?

Thanks guys for the responses. Jairus recommended the 65 and steve the 66. I forgot that both a 65 and a 66 were availble. Both are out of production as far as I know but are more than likely still optainable. are they the same engine wise ? I'm not a buick expert by anymeans but I think the look I'm going for is a tripower or dual quad with some aluminum valve covers that say buick on the side with raised letters. I'm thinking I saw this in scale but then again I have weird plastic dreams. :D It's Jairus's sketch pad Merc in the July 2007 model cars that has me pumped.

The AMT '40 Ford Coupe and '40 Ford Sedan Delivery (now boxed as a "woodie") both have nailhead Buick motors, which to me, are pretty vanilla and asking for details. The '40 Ford Sedan has an Olds engine with old time Hillborn Fuel Injection intake.

The AMT '65 - '67 Rivieras which you can pick up at swap meets for not too much, both have decent nailhead motors, but have axle holes in the blocks that need filling up.

Thanks for the inquiry, you have refreshed my interest in these motors, as I thought these were no longer popular.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

The AMT '40 Ford Coupe and '40 Ford Sedan Delivery (now boxed as a "woodie") both have nailhead Buick motors, which to me, are pretty vanilla and asking for details. The '40 Ford Sedan has an Olds engine with old time Hillborn Fuel Injection intake.

The AMT '65 - '67 Rivieras which you can pick up at swap meets for not too much, both have decent nailhead motors, but have axle holes in the blocks that need filling up.

Thanks for the inquiry, you have refreshed my interest in these motors, as I thought these were no longer popular.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

The BEST nailhead out there is easily the one in the AMT '66 Riviera. It's stock but it has the finned valve covers and dual quads.

Has anyone tried any hot rod parts from other kits on it yet? The valve covers look skinnyier and a bit longer than the older Nailheads but I wonder how other intakes would fit ???

I have to agree with the '66 being the best Nailhead in 1/25 scale.

I just received a set of finned valve covers & matching ignition wire covers in my latest Reps. & Mins. of MD order (Part # P-54). I eyeballed them against all the motors listed in this thread, and they look like they'll best fit the '66 engine and the old Revell engine (Tony Nancy or Tommy Ivo).

I think we're going to see a lot of Mercs with '66 Riviera Nailhead mills!