Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Chevy Pickup 10/20 Update

patrol52

I'm building this for myself as a test bed for my 1:1. I am trying to make it as close to what I plan to do to the real thing, but have hit a road block. I am seriously considering channeling it so the bed lines up with the cab body line, so I'm just wandering what the opinions are. Anyway, here are some in progress pictures.

b_090935.jpg

b_091034.jpg

b_071600.jpg

Here is the current side view:

b_071839.jpg

This is the quick and dirty photoshop to simulate the section removed:

b_165015.jpg

So, what do you think?

Edited by patrol52

I built a custom '50 a few years back. I see you have lines drawn on the front fenders. I removed 1/8 inch from the bottom of the fenders starting at the back and following the radius of the wheel opening. At the front of the fender I blended it to the grill opening. This gave the fender a much needed lighter feel.

One other thing I suggest is to mock up the truck as true as possible. Take the time to create possitive mounting points that won't change throughout the build. When you have established these mounting points you can see what the thing will really look like. Then set it in front of you and just look. This way you will see the little proportion changes that make huge differences in the end.

I always thought the rear fenders looked like AC Cobra pieces... well you did ask what we thought. :lol:

Keep going, your headed in the right direction.

Well, I got busy and channeled it. I still need to put the grill back to original, and I am going to lower the body on to the frame just a little bit more, but it is pretty close and coming along. I am also going to open up the front wheel opening I think to about the area colored in black. Now to finish the suspension and make some Buick headlight openings.

b_005606.jpg

b_005214.jpg

b_005253.jpg