Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vw Funny Car

Smart-Resins

I have been working on a 1/16 VW. I am trying to change it over from a 1951/52 stock body to a funny car body to fit the 117" 1/16 scale funny car frames.Here is a pic of what I am after.....

Andy_Raws_V8_Funny_Car_By_Richie_Gr.jpg

I first started by cutting it into sections to make it the length I needed.Heres a sectional pic......

VW1.jpg

Oh no right! Well I was wondering. But I got it back together and shopped the top scale 2" in the back and a scale 4" in the front. Heres pic of it back together again in the ruff.....

bugRFM.jpg

The car is now in a bath of bondo so to speek. As you can see, I do need to adjust the center pillrs to raise the center of the roof just a tad to bring its form back. After I have smoothed it out, it will get a front spoiler and converted running boards to make it look like a one piece fiberglass body. Still need to decide wether Zi will add a rear spoiler or keep it plain?

Thanks for the welcome Jody. Dave and I meet on a dune buggy website (We both have fiberglass cars). I posted there asking if anyone built scale models and he replied with a bunch of his cool subjects. That is when he told me about this place.

Body work............... A love hate relationship. It has to be done but you fight with every pain staking second of it. But after you reep the rewards.

A rear spoiler might look cool. I guess it all depends on if you want a replica of the car shown or will be loosely basing it on.

Either way it's a cool subject. I've done one funny VW Car and one is in progress I love these little cars.

Dave and I meet on a dune buggy website (We both have fiberglass cars). I posted there asking if anyone built scale models and he replied with a bunch of his cool subjects.

A-ha!! I've been wracking my brain the past few hours, trying to remember where I ran into you.....glad you made it here, and don't hesitate showing off your stuff either; you do nice work.

Thanks for the kind words, and sorry for the minor hijack, Jody. :)

A-ha!! I've been wracking my brain the past few hours, trying to remember where I ran into you.....glad you made it here, and don't hesitate showing off your stuff either; you do nice work.

Thanks for the kind words, and sorry for the minor hijack, Jody. :o

LOL Sorry to leave you hanging. Will do, and thanks.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Work in progress :o

Stay tuned for more after a brief commercial.....

Alright guys is there anyone who would be interested in this being casted once I get done? I am asking becase I Am considering casting it as well as the Tom McEwen Mongoose vette I am working on.

As for progress, taking a short break so I dont get burned out from all of the sanding.I will keep you posted on the progress.LOL..........

Dave and I meet on a dune buggy website (We both have fiberglass cars).

So just to bug Jody with hijacking his deal...excuse me a moment , please...

Just where is this 'Glass buggy site?

I have one in the driveway for a friend, one in the backyard for me waiting its turn, a buddy who wants to sell one, another buddy who wants to buy one (but can't afford the 1st guy's), another buddy has a metal-body pre-fiberglass one which I just did some work on the other day (he needs the engine rebuilt)...I live in the California desert, where they are practical cars. Bugs, Bajas and tube frame buggies too...

Back to the subject of this thread...I am wondering what engine is planned for this funny car. Will it be a VW with turbo? or a Hemi?

MojaveRacer208, check your PM. It is a forum based site and yes everything VW. Sand rails, Fiberglass cars, Baja's and more. Oh heck www.thesamba.com. :P

As for a copy of that body, I only have one large scale car so wouldn't have anything to add to it :-(

• 4 months later...

here is an idea for a custom model build. took me and my dad 4 years to do. still not done. its hard to work on soemthing when you dont have the time.

if you want a few more pictures just pm me. i have a couple more

Click to enlarge:

th_bug1.jpg

th_bug6.jpg

th_bug7.jpg

th_b9.jpg

th_b6.jpg

th_b5.jpg

th_b.jpg

Edited by ballpoteau