Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting Truck and photo

I found this info on another forum...

"Designed to be functional with fuel economy in mind over looks, starting in 1971. Once the first Energy Crisis hit in 1973, Ryder teamed up and evaluated a couple of Paymasters in their fleet. Bad combination of a recession and high interest rates killed the project by 1980 with only 14 Paymasters being constructed."

5248459228_e98c1bcff8_b.jpg

While I don't have any blueprints on it, I do have some info on it. I seen this one at the 2012 Walcott Truckers Jamboree last year, and took a few pics of the story of the truck that was in the window. Also, it is on display at the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum next to the Iowa 80 truckstop in Walcott.

HPIM3772.jpg

HPIM3775.jpg

Well I think the first line explains why I can't find prints. Thank you all

Yeah, but I'd figure there should still be some type of build plans somewhere since further down it said Hendrickson Mfg was contracted to build 10 of these trucks.

I have found the patent drawings for the cab, chassis and removable power units configuration. The drawings most look like the on shown in the post of Mike77. The only parts I did not find are the radiator shrouds and engine cover if any. Anyone know of any rear views of this oddity??

Well, some big dummy didn't even think of taking a pic of the back when I seen it at the truck show! Luckily for you though Richard, that same big dummy went to the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum a few days after the show and it was already back on display in the museum!

HPIM3973_zpsbecfc7ac.jpg

HPIM3975_zps62b88025.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can use this to get the dimensions and general placements. Thank you again sir.

Not a problem at all Richard, I'm just glad I could help out. If you want any other pics of other weird and interesting trucks, they had a few oddballs there at the museum.

Guest Johnny

If I ever took a driving job for a company and when they assigned me a truck and it turned out to be that, It would have been the shortest job I ever held! :lol:

Some questions about this truck. What, is that tank above the rear window for? Where does that ducting, at the lower right of the engine go to, and from?

And ,knowing that there were a few variations of this beast, what model, type, engine is general used? Finally if I model a what if would I be to far out to power it with an Allison Turbo Charged V-12?

I like big rigs but don't know a whole lot about them yet.

• 2 weeks later...