Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a Pro Street/Pro Stock chassis

I see a lot of guys building tubular frames from scratch, sections, etc. Is there a template or plans that are followed or do you guys basically just figure it out as you go. I wanted to try it, but I was hoping there was something to follow. I don't have any knowledge of roll cages and frames like this so I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'm thinking of doing something like this for my 65 Chevy Pickup and future cars. Maybe a Boss 429 or something.

I used the chassis made by Chris Alston at ChassisWorks as guides for the frames I have built. I looked a lot on line and they are all basically the same in design. Alston's site has a lot of pictures of chassis and components for reference.

In building anything with a scratch chassis, follow this sequence:

Do any modifications to the body first. Build the engine and transmission and have the rear suspension with wheels and tires handy. The chassis needs to be built to fit the body and drive train so you need these things on hand before you start. I can't tell you how many times I got to the engine and it wouldn't fit the chassis or the roll cage was either too tall or short.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_products.html

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

also keep in mind the seat...ive built a few nice pro mod chassis only to find out i didnt leave enough room for the seat...i wont start unless i have complete drive train in hand before i start. It helps to have other parts such as steering components and things you want to go inside the car to do test fits as you go.

also keep in mind the seat...ive built a few nice pro mod chassis only to find out i didnt leave enough room for the seat...i wont start unless i have complete drive train in hand before i start. It helps to have other parts such as steering components and things you want to go inside the car to do test fits as you go.

I spent a day with the Dremel fitting a seat under the nice roll cage I built for my Mustang. Live and learn...

Dale

And don't forget the headers. Please don't forget the headers.

Edited by ScaleDale

I spent a day with the Dremel fitting a seat under the nice roll cage I built for my Mustang. Live and learn...

Dale

And don't forget the headers. Please don't forget the headers.

Yeah, headers have been a problem for me lately.

So basically build everything, then build the cage.