Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda Savanna Cabriolet(RX7)

o-man

Guess I'm on a Mazda convertible fix. Tamiya RX7 kit.
DSCN1303-vi.jpg

Not a ton of parts but nicely detailed to my eye. Parts in primer
DSCN2202-vi.jpg

Turbo engine. Tamiya Metallic Gray, Model Masters Steel for rotor housings. Camera shows off what I missed painting; wish my eyes were that good! Have fixed since picture was taken.
DSCN2215-vi.jpg
DSCN2217-vi.jpg

Engine in chassis.
DSCN2218-vi.jpg

Body painted and cleared.
DSCN2201-vi.jpg

Decals applied and cleared. Used polishing pads but not pleased. I'm sure its my fault but body not very shiny. It is very smooth so I must have done something right. Then I did something wrong and broke windshield frame!
DSCN2220-vi.jpg
DSCN2280-vi.jpg
DSCN2278-vi.jpg

Edited by o-man

I to have this kit,i built it years ago and had the same problem with the windshield posts breaking must be a flaw in the kit,are you planning a stock build or a little modifying?

I don't think its a flaw. I think I put too much pressure on it when sanding. More than likely it will be stock. My skills are not good enough to customize yet.

Oscar: that 7 looks very nice but you are right, you killed the paint. not to be too presumptuous, but I think you did not clear coat the paint before polishing it with abrasive pads. the problem is when you do that (polish directly on the paint) to a metallic or pearl paint job, it burns down into all the metallic particles, making them dull and non reflective. so now your paint is really smooth but it has no pizazz like a metallic should. you might be able to save it with a coat of clear, especially testors clear which seems to have a good "wet" look, but the only sure way to get the color back is to give it another coat of the metallic. it should go on very nicely and a thin coat will do because you already have a smooth, color surface to apply it to. then clear coat that and polish the clear, being careful not to burn down to the paint through the clear.

see if that works and if you already knew all that, no worries.

Minor update on this. Sprayed another coat of clear and body now looks shiny. Don't think I'm going to try to wax it.
DSCN2301-vi.jpg

Painted front signals, maker lights and black trim.
DSCN2303-vi.jpg

Taillights detailed. Hard as BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH to stay on raised portion between lens.
DSCN2302-vi.jpg
Now I can see how badly I missed with 3rd brake light decal; oh well.

Interior, engine bay, and chassis are done. Not sure why directions said to leave area on rear deck a lighter color. I wonder if that is wear targa is stored?
DSCN2294-vi.jpg
DSCN2296-vi.jpg
DSCN2295-vi.jpg
DSCN2293-vi.jpg