Model Cars Magazine Forum

Switching To A Mac?

Chris, in the years I have been doing this, I have found that Macs worked best with as much RAM stuffed in them as possible.

The G4 was good, but the G5 is double or more of that.

I built a G4 dual for Jairus from an old Quicksliver single 500 or so, and stuffed it to the max.

That did wonders for it, but the G5 was light years ahead

I had a buddy come over one day while I was working on a layout, and he was so PC, it wasn't funny.

So, I showed him a little something on the Mac that I like to do to blow people away.

As you know, we have the dock on the bottom (or side, or whereever you want to put it) that you can put all your programs in to launch instantly.

I have in the dock:

Quark

Photoshop

Illustrator

In Design

Go Live

Dreamweaver

Word

Excell

Entourage

Mail

Transmit

Safari

Firefox

Adobe (pro something)

toast

Popcorn

and about eight or nine other programs

I launched them all, one by one

After they all started, and were running, I went and opened a cover for MCM, which is about 60+ MB, in Quark, adjusted the image instantly in Photoshop, and sent an email at the same time.

This was with every single program running on the dock!

Now, I hate to downside things, but I am only running with half the RAM the G5 can take, and it's not matched pairs, I buy what I can, when I can.

If I think the Mac's going to crash, I go get a cup of Coffee, and by Java, it doesn't crash!!!!

Again, this is just my personal opinions, and we know what that's worth :-)

I just love what the Mac can do, have bought every single version of the OS that is released, every iPod that is out, and have yet to buy an iPhone (That's not a Mac thing, it's AT&T, I prefer Verizon!)

Time for moi moi...

aloha kao ko!

That could be. When I had a chance to switch to a Mac G5 (which was already limited when it hit the shelf in that the PC's around the corner were going to be faster and more powerful than the G5 could ever be. In other words it was a bit behind the leading edge tech curve with it was new). I was less than impressed. The only reason I'd get a Mac is to run FCP, but I am not trying to sell anyone one way or another. I am not the one who has to live with it. Not to mention that a Mac G5 close to what I was runing on my PC with all the SATA drives, RAM and other adds was $5800.00 - about $2300.00 more than I spent on my PC. The funny thing is I am the guy who is supposed to be the Mac guy, the artist the graphic designer, the reason why someone switches to a MAC. I even used one for 3 years. For the average user all this is all overkill, and they would never utilze any of it. They just need to surf the web, get emails, and manage their digi pix, and you certianly don't need a G5 to do that. For that matter, some say that a PC on Unix is better than a Mac and more versitile. After all the Mac OS is now virtually a Unix architecture and since it's IBM derived it works the same or a little better on the PC than the Mac.

I think the big difference is the PC I built vs a pre packaged off the shelf one. It's been the most stable, fastest PC, that I have been on and by a long way the absoulute best PC I ever owned. I had some miserable PCs, and used some uncooperative annoying Macs in the past.

That could be. When I had a chance to switch to a Mac G5 (which was already limited when it hit the shelf in that the PC's around the corner were going to be faster and more powerful than the G5 could ever be. In other words it was a bit behind the leading edge tech curve with it was new). I was less than impressed. The only reason I'd get a Mac is to run FCP, but I am not trying to sell anyone one way or another. I am not the one who has to live with it. Not to mention that a Mac G5 close to what I was runing on my PC with all the SATA drives, RAM and other adds was $5800.00 - about $2300.00 more than I spent on my PC. The funny thing is I am the guy who is supposed to be the Mac guy, the artist the graphic designer, the reason why someone switches to a MAC. I even used one for 3 years. For the average user all this is all overkill, and they would never utilze any of it. They just need to surf the web, get emails, and manage their digi pix, and you certianly don't need a G5 to do that. For that matter, some say that a PC on Unix is better than a Mac and more versitile. After all the Mac OS is now virtually a Unix architecture and since it's IBM derived it works the same or a little better on the PC than the Mac.

I think the big difference is the PC I built vs a pre packaged off the shelf one. It's been the most stable, fastest PC, that I have been on and by a long way the absoulute best PC I ever owned. I had some miserable PCs, and used some uncooperative annoying Macs in the past.

I'll throw my two cents in here too - I use a custom built PC similar to what Cal has and have had no problems either. I have been involved with graphics for years and because of business needs have stayed on the PC side. Nothing against Macs but in the past software came out much later for Macs, maybe 6-12 months later and business apps weren't workable.

Running XP Pro with 4gb of ram works well for me.

Brian - the uses and applications you describe don't really justify your need for anything newer, change Win2k to XP Pro, add some ram and you'll be happy. Keep in mind that you'll have to update all that software to a Mac version too - $$$$.

Most of all I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to get.

How many Mac users are there on here? I know I'm gonna have to replace this computer sometime in the near future, and it's gonna be a choice between Window Vista and Mac. One of my friends has Vista on her Dell Laptop, and while the computer itself is quite nice, Vista is ######. So anyway, any potential issues for a long time (10+ years) Windows user switching over to the Mac os? I know Macs are a little more exensive than a PC, but is the addition expense really worth it? Lookin for some honest opinions here, so don't hold back. Thanx!!

****Hi, My wife is a graphic designer and she has grown up with the mac. Her old company bought their first ones in 1986. She loves it.The biggest hurdle is the price. We paid 1800.00 for her iMac G5 with intel guts(lol) last year. We bought it online. I can't remember the name of the company. Steve

****Hi, My wife is a graphic designer and she has grown up with the mac. Her old company bought their first ones in 1986. She loves it.The biggest hurdle is the price. We paid 1800.00 for her iMac G5 with intel guts(lol) last year. We bought it online. I can't remember the name of the company. Steve

Another reason not to buy a Mac. INTEL.