Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Willys Street Rod- rear suspension help! (Calling Dr. Cranky!)

Hello everyone. This is my first build in like 15yrs so,....... here's the problem; At present I have the trailing arms attached to the rear axle. The instructions show the upper part of the springs attach to this little nub on the upper-rear of the trailing arms, and the other end goes in a hole in the frame. But there is nothing to hold them in place so you know that it will be lined-up, so that when you set the whole assembly in place it will be correct. I have thought of driling a hole in the trailing arm where the nub (or whatever it's called) is and then putting a small pin in the upper part of the spring(s) to hold things in proper alignment so the whole assembly can be attached to the frame. Because otherwise it's just guess work and a potentially maddening mess.

As many '41 Willys Street Rods as I've seen built on this forum it seems that others have encountered this problem with success, just wanted to see what others have done. Dr. Cranky if you're in town give me a shout because this is one your favorite kits, so you must have a method for getting around this mess! LOL. Heres a PDF of the instructions so people can see what I'm talking about, hope that helps, thanks!

http://www.revell.de/manual/85-2371_41_WILLYS_STREET_ROD.PDF

I would suggest you hold the shock assemblies tops to the trailing arms nubs, drop a tiny drop of you favorite glue into the lower shock sockets on the frame rails, and drop the rearend/trailing arms assembly in place at the same time as both shocks. Not sure if you can put the rearend/trailing arms in place first and if that will be perfectly positioned so the shocks are exactly the right length or not, but dry fitting it that way would let you know how close it will come.