Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmy Flintstone Resin 1972 Chevy El Camino

I think I need to get my ADD meds refilled...NOT!!!

I've never seen one of these built and I doubt many of you have either. So this one will take up residence next to the Cuda in the MPC Motorsports shop.

I went to the LHS on my way home from work and got some rims for the El Camino.

100_1525-vi.jpg

Hoppin Hydro Bellagios...twenties in the front and matching Monster 24s in the rear. Yes, their big and not everyone's cup o' tea but it's my build and you know how I roll. I'm widening the rear rims with some Evergreen strip so I can fit some wider Pegasus 23" tires on the back. Steve Milberry offered me an original kit chassis to replace the rough resin one. This way, I can put an engine under the hood and not be too ashamed of the look when the hood is off.

Now to come up with a killer paint job with some SS stripes and a monster big block under the hood. Perhaps I'll use the supercharged unit from the '68 Elky street machine.

Enjoy...I am!!!

Very cool "shop truck"! ;) You're still on your iron-rich diet for this build, right? :lol: :lol: Since the show "Hard Shine" did the build on the 1:1 Elky these have been catching my attention. Yours is going to be just as sweet as theirs. Have you picked a color yet?

Stopped by Advance Auto Parts on my way home from work to get wiper blades for my Scion. While there, I had to go check out the paint. This can came home with me...

100_1538-vi.jpg

I do not remember who suggested Dark Green but it will work. The color is called "Medium Green Metallic". It will also get some white SS stripes and a tan interior. I've been wanting to do a tan interior for a long time. I may tone down the "bling" on the rims by painting the spokes gunmetal.

More to come...

Here is the Flinstone 72 built to replicate a friends car. I discovered after the build that there are no side markers on the 72

DSC_0024-vi.jpg

Here is a link to the build.

http://public.fotki.com/djway3474/complete...s/72-el-camino/

There was a lot of grinding to get stuff to fit

Here is another Flinstone 72 that I used a 70 grill on.

DSC_0547-vi.jpg

There was a lot of grinding to get stuff to fit...

You got that right. I spend untold minutes if not hours grinding, filing and sanding. But the results will be worth it.

There is a part of my creative side that enjoys doing this on occasion...

By the way, those two Elkys are sweet builds. I hope mine turns out as nice.

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

'bout time you made a shop truck...but If I remember wasn't the original mpc motorsports truck was going to be a 72 truck? thats ok though..I like Elky's alot more. Green will be a nice color for this too..it will give it a slightly dressy look for sure. will this one be curbside or will there be s big block stuffed under that hood?

Gray

'bout time you made a shop truck...but If I remember wasn't the original mpc motorsports truck was going to be a 72 truck? thats ok though..I like Elky's alot more. Green will be a nice color for this too..it will give it a slightly dressy look for sure. will this one be curbside or will there be s big block stuffed under that hood?

Gray

Whatta memory!!! The ORIGINAL MPC Motorsports shop truck was/is a '68 Chevy short wide, which has been relegated to the back burner for numerous reasons. The El Camino is more befitting my style at this time. It most likely will have a rat motor under thehood, thanks to Steve Milberry. My resin chassis is pretty rough and he offered to send me an original chassis from an AMT '69 Elky builder he has.