Model Cars Magazine Forum

frame building help pics,advice,etc

This would be an easier question to answer if we knew exactly what kind of "trouble" you're having with the frame, but here's a couple of suggestions.

First, to get a lot of rat-rods low down, the frames are Zeed. That means the frame rails are cut and reworked to drop the vehicle lower to the roadway. Here's a tutorial I posted a while back to help avoid unnecessary work when doing this, and to help keep everything in alignment.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL TUTORIAL:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70728

Second, there's another way to get the front end low. Building a "suicide" front end is a simple matter of cutting the stock crossmember out from between the frame rails, and substituting a tubular one, then fabricating a raised spring perch to allow the front of the chassis to drop down lower. The stock Revell '32 chassis is in the foreground, and a modified one is in the background. The rear of the frame rails here was made from sheet styrene, for more extreme lowering than what I show in the simple-Z tutorial.

DSCN9266.jpg

Third, "channeling" the body is another way builders get the lowness they're after. That simply means that rather than the body simply sitting on top of the frame rails, clearance is made for the frame rails (which often requires removing the floors and slitting the firewall, etc.). This is the modified frame above, with the body "channeled" over it.

DSCN5027_zps565ba16f.jpg

The rear of this model T chassis has been Zeed a similar way (but with differently shaped rear frame rail sections) and the front has also been dropped as in the '32 frame photo above, with a suicide spring perch.

DSCN9309.jpg

The frame shown above, with the body channeled over it.

DSCN4227.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

James, I had the same problem as you do. This weekend i created my own chassis for 32 ford.

Its the first I did so don't be to hard on me :-) And it might change a little.

vvvr.jpg

The plate under the body is temporary to keep the body in place.

ju9l.jpg

Very nice tutorial Bill, wish i have seen this sooner :lol: