Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Would You Wish For?

I'd like to see somethings we don't ever see kitted.

Yeah, we can have 100 Porsches, Ferarris, Lambos, 'Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros, and any number of muscle cars you can mention. But...........

I'd like to see-------

A Decent '00s Crown Vic.

A 1st Gen Chrysler LHS, '94-'96.

An STS-V that doesn't have Boeing 747 wheels on it.

ANY new or re-release pick-up models. How 'Bout a 2006 F-150?

An '02-up Ram?

An '06 or '07 Silverado Classic (old body style).

A Nissan Titan?

A Toyota Camry or Avalon?

And I'd also like to see----For Gosh sakes Revell, pop for the right to letter the sides of your tires.

Thanks

I'd be happy to see a 57 thru 59 Dodge to go along with the AMT 57 300 and 58 Belvedere.

They could even use some of the underpinnings from the Belvedere and the 300's engine as an option. I would lean towards the 57-58 because they are similar enough you may be able to get 2 years into one kit, and could be used to update the JoHan 59 Dodge.

There are many cars I would like to see as model kits, but this is one thing I would really love for someone to make: Repops of the original JoHan bodies, plus new and better parts for interior, chassis and drivetrain. JoHan had a lot of interesting models, but I don't believe any of them can be built as a convincing replica of the real thing, unless you want to spend hundreds of hours kit bashing or scratch building your own parts. For example, the 1960 DeSoto would be a winner, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. :D This might just be a wet dream though, I don't know how much there's left of their tools, and the condition of the tools that do exist may not be good enough for mass production anymore.

There are many cars I would like to see as model kits, but this is one thing I would really love for someone to make: Repops of the original JoHan bodies, plus new and better parts for interior, chassis and drivetrain. JoHan had a lot of interesting models, but I don't believe any of them can be built as a convincing replica of the real thing, unless you want to spend hundreds of hours kit bashing or scratch building your own parts. For example, the 1960 DeSoto would be a winner, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. :D This might just be a wet dream though, I don't know how much there's left of their tools, and the condition of the tools that do exist may not be good enough for mass production anymore.

It will never happen.

There is virtually nothing left of Johan's tooling. Johan tools simply do not exist any longer.

Most of it was taken home, thrown away, or damaged by the employees who stopped receiving a paycheck.

In the 90s Seville tried to resurrect Johan models, the few remaining tools that were not completely destroyed However they were too worn out to be of any use, and Seville sued Johan and won.

The remains of that was purchased by Okey Spaulding in 2000 JoHan Models LLC. Who has for the last five years attempted to recondition what was left of the Johan tools without much success.

They seemed to have had a limited number of kits from Seville's inventory, but I don't think Johan Models LLC has ever injection molded a single kit.

They have resurrected a handful of old promo kits by making resin casting of them and selling them under a new company Accucast-X-El kits.

Virtually any injection molding of any old Johan kits has stopped, and according to JoHan Models LLC are not likely to ever return again. Furthermore, they do not seem to have anything left in stock except for a few odds and ends. No complete kits that I am aware of.

Anything resembling a Johan kit in the future would certainly have to come from a brand new tool, which according to Spaulding is a long way off: 5 to 10 years if ever at all.

Edited by CAL

I have done this when Luc first came out with the idea and was voted on. I think it came in forth or something. Nevertheless, since, about a year and half later the kit was on the shelves.

I can say reading peoples wish-list has never done anything for me. However, reading some of the responses to Luc's post has changed my mind about the validity of doing a particular kit.

Who, what, why and when still makes a better argument that

Nissan GT-R, 2007

Chevy Silverado 1500

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

90's Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette

Porsche 911 GT2.

2008 Cadillac CTS

2006 to current Pontiac Soltstice, or 2007-08 Saturn Sky

Current Cadillac Escalade

2007 Ford Interceptor Concept Car

2008 Pontiac G8 (top line version)

1968-70 Mustang Shelby GT350-GT500KR Convertible

1957-58 Studebaker Golden Hawk (Long Shot! )

1959 Corvette Stingray Racer

1964-65 Shelby Daytona Coupe

1970 Plymouth Barracuda coupe and convertible (a CORRECT one!)

51 Studebaker Starlight coupe

truck kits (light and medium duty)

BMWs (M3, M5, M6, 545, etc)

Mercs (CLS, SL, S-class, etc)

Audis (TT, RS6, S5, etc

'08 CTS

'70 Plymouth Sport Fury GT

'67 Pontiac 2+2

'71 Caddy Coupe de Ville

'71 Buick Centurion convertible

'73 Chevelle SS

'73 Buick Gran Sport

'73 Grand Am

'85-86 Mustang GT

'87 Grand Prix 2+2, etc..

Accura Spice

Cadillac CTS-V

Calloway Corvette C5R

Spiker GT2

Momo Nissan GTP

Toyota Eagles GTP (early and late versions)

Porsche RS Spyder

Zytek Creation CA06

Acura ARX-01

Aston Martin Vanquish

A'57 Olds

1972 torino

1973 Buick Century

1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme

80's Dodge Diplomat

80's Ford Crown Vic

80's Ford "Baby" LTD

'46-48 Plymouth coupe

Mclaren F1 road car

1/24 Lola T70 coupe

67 Galaxie Coupe and convertible

68 Galaxie Fastback or LTD roofline

66-69 Falcon - any year (though the 66-67 I prefer the roung tail lights)

69 or 70 Grand Prix

A corrected Revell 69 Mustang with Boss 302 and Mach 1 option

70-73 Formula Firebird.

A little overwhelming... imagine an model exec going through this list...

Verses something a little more thought out in terms of a compeling argument for producing a particular kit. I'd throw this list right in the dumpster.

You forgot my Jetta.... :D:wacko:

You forgot my Jetta.... :huh::D

...and my Scirocco! :blink::wacko:

CAL is right about the trademark costs with VW. Any time you see the VW symbol in the circle with the V on top of the W, It is a registered trademark. VWoA went after all of the dealers who were using it in their dealer logo a few years ago. If they didn't clear the logo with the roundel with VW, then they threatened them with legal action. This included new car dealers who actually held the franchise too! The dealer I work for had to deal with this, so I have seen it first hand.

.....as for the takeover; I wouldn't count any chickens before the eggs have hatched. :D

two more of my cents!

new tools? talk about a wish list. AMT did the promos for the Ford Falcon, and i have two roundbodies ive done to look like my 1:1, but they're literally just promos with paint and swapped wheels. so... i want a 1962 Falcon two door sedan, with a fully detailed six cylinder and correctly sized wheels and tires. i'll pop for the futura to get bucket seats and a console. a later version could replicate the sprint hardtop with a 260 v8 and 5lug wheels.

i'd also like to see a 1966 F100 done to revell standard with styleside AND stepside beds in the kit; FE engine so LOTS of hopup parts available. (revell AND amt did the early 60's chevy pickup...)

a true Olds Vista Cruiser wagon for all those "that 70's show" fans...

and dig through those old AMT bins for all those old tv-show tie-in kits AMT was famous for!

was there ever a true Bronco kit; the early version? that would be cool but way impossible.