Model Cars Magazine Forum

questions on the Iwata Neo

I recently picked up the neo at hobby lobby, the brush and 10ft braided hose cost me 26.50 (yay for coupons and giftcards!!) And I noticed it doesn't say anywhere on the site, manual, or box, if it is compatible with solvents...

I sent doctor cranky a message and he believes it is not safe to use with solvents. So far a fairly extensive google search has turnded up nothing. If anyone has any more info, I would appreciate the help.

From page 4 of the manual:

Paint should be thinned with its proper solvent.

Do not spray solvent-based (flammable) paints around

open flames.

Obviously if the NEO was not compatible with solvents, those lines would have been worded very differently.

which NEO did you get?
I have the TRN I (trigger style gravity feed) and the CN (gravity feed).
The TRN I comes with PTFE seals and is safe for solvent based paints.
I'm not sure what the CN comes with, but I have used mine with solvent based paints (House of Kolor, Nason, DuPont, etc) without a single issue.

post-3673-0-59091500-1388943878_thumb.jp

From page 4 of the manual:

Paint should be thinned with its proper solvent.

Do not spray solvent-based (flammable) paints around

open flames.

Obviously if the NEO was not compatible with solvents, those lines would have been worded very differently.

Huh. I must have missed that part. Thanks!

which NEO did you get?

I have the TRN I (trigger style gravity feed) and the CN (gravity feed).

The TRN I comes with PTFE seals and is safe for solvent based paints.

I'm not sure what the CN comes with, but I have used mine with solvent based paints (House of Kolor, Nason, DuPont, etc) without a single issue.

I dont think its mentions anything about ptfe seals. But like Harry mentioned the manuals mention solvents and such. Is that side feed trigger type one you have, a fan spray?

I use mine for acrylics. I have not tested it with urethanes and lacquers. I too would like to know how they stand up to those paints.

I was mainly concerned with the multiple o rings I saw. They (o rings) tend To not fair so well with solvents as I'm sure you know. Figured I would be safe rather than sorry.

We recently had an Iwata demonstration at one of our club meetings, and the Neo looks like a great product. I wouldn't have any worries about owning/using one if I were to begin air-brushing again.

I ran some Vallejo model air through it just a bit ago and was very impressed with the results. It is very comfortable to use and the removable cups make cleaNing it very easy.

I have a Neo double action gravity feed brush and have used Donn Yosts' technique using enamels with excellent results. Never airbrushed before and got great results with minimal practice. The cheap lacquer thinner from Home Depot that I use to clean it doesn't seem to affect it and I've had it for over a year now.