Model Cars Magazine Forum

DOOR SLAMMERS Pinewood Derby Style

BSB Racing

I race pinewood derby cars for a hobby. I race at a venue out of Cambridge, Ohio. It is called APR (Association of Pinewood Derby Racers) For 2014 there will be 5 races. This Saturday 1/18/14 there will be a test and tune day. (no points awarded) The race will begin around 1 PM Eastern time. There will be a live feed to see the race. There will be a button on the site you simply click to watch the race. I am not sure if you have to be a member of the forum to watch live, but I know you have to be a member to watch previous videos from last season.

It is a great to be able to marry two hobbies. There is nothing like building a 1/25 scale model and see it running side by side on a three lane 42 foot long track with two other cars. It kind of makes the build worth while to see it in action. I have been viewing the builds on here and must say, I myself would not send a car in that is the quality of the builds you guys make. The only part of the car we use is the body, frames are custom made to fit the body by the builder. I have lots of spare parts and once I get sorted out this year I will post what models I have if anyone needs some parts. I know I have a couple of Hemi engines.

We have 15 different classes running this year. We have anything from bone stock cub scout class (cubby ) to Pro built cars with ball bearing razor wheels. (wheels measure .020 thick)

I hope some of you can tune in to see the race on Saturday. The class I guess that would interest most on this forum would be Door Slammer. This year we have 2 DS classes. One for Stock and one for Modified.

Attached are 2 Door Slammers I ran or built for other racers in 2013. The metallic red Stingray (Hot Salsa) held the record (briefly!) LOL

The picture of the candy red car and the matte black car are cars that run in a class called super pro stock. These are made from wood. This is an example of a wide wheel and a razor wheel.

Hope to see you on Sat. I will have to sit the beginning of the season out. I tore my bicep from the bone and just got out of a cast, so hopefully I will be able to compete shortly?

The address is apr.boards.net. :D

OK, I checked with the powers to be. This Sat. will only be a test and tune and I don't know whether they will have the live feed up and running? The first official race for the new year is February 15 at 1 PM. I was told, you have to be a member to view the video from last year and you also need to join the forum to see the live feed. You have a whole month to get signed in.

Now I am sure you guys have an old model collecting dust that you could figure out a way to put a set of pinewood derby wheels on it and a frame under it and send it in. I am also sure this will add a whole new dimension to your modelling hobby.

Here is a sample from the last race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atz0NU0KVQY

post-13187-0-38105600-1389773712_thumb.j

post-13187-0-45799300-1389773858_thumb.j

post-13187-0-64211500-1389773878_thumb.j

post-13187-0-19475700-1389774208_thumb.j

Edited by BSB Racing

Would really like to see the live feed. Do you have a link for the Cam! I use to go too Canton Ohio and race and watch as a kid in the early 70's, boy sure has come along way! Great looking cars. Love the vette and Nomad, pls post a link for live feed, thank you.

Would really like to see the live feed. Do you have a link for the Cam! I use to go too Canton Ohio and race and watch as a kid in the early 70's, boy sure has come along way! Great looking cars. Love the vette and Nomad, pls post a link for live feed, thank you.

The link is above in Mood Swing Productions post. The live feed is not on until the day of the actual race. (maybe about 1/2 hour before the race starts) It will be on Feb. 15th around 1 PM. You simply click on the live feed button. You have to be a member I think to view? When on the feed there is a live chat. You can sign in and participate in that as well. Maybe during the race you see something you don't understand, feel free to join in and ask questions on the chat. :)

That's just cool...I remember when model cars were just simple blocks of wood. with a couple nails for axles and some lead heated and poured in the bodies. I really like the black Ecto done up as a phantom hearse like you would see in a "Cars" movie.

very cool. you could tell early on the cuda was the class of the field.

You are correct. In that class if you go sub 2.980 you receive a badge on your forum logo. So far GS1 with the Cuda was the only one to get it. I got close with the Studebaker, but not quite there. We sure would love to see some of you guys build one and send it in. It's not hard, just make sure you follow the rules for the class you build. All cars get a tech inspection and if they fail, they don't race.

I just checked on the APR forum.........the live feed button is up. Keep in mind this is not a race but a test and tune session mostly for guys who don't have a track or want to experiment with some new idea and not do it in a race. The feed should start around 1 PM ET. I still am not sure whether or not you have to be a member to access the feed?

O h Jeez Bill, Its Ok Sir, I found it, Thanks says its about 10min to tune ups,,,

p.s. Bill you do have to regier, but its fast and easy, Thanks again, Sorry to be a pain,

No pain, glad you found it. Did you learn anything from watching the test and tune session?