Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motor Racing Replica News - How Rare/collectable

Hi All,

I've been going through some of my books and magazines and found a binder with several copies of the now-defunct Motor Racing Replica News. I have most of the 1st 25 issues (never got #1). Anyone care to venture a guess as to how valuable/collectible these magazines would be?

Hi All,

I've been going through some of my books and magazines and found a binder with several copies of the now-defunct Motor Racing Replica News. I have most of the 1st 25 issues (never got #1). Anyone care to venture a guess as to how valuable/collectible these magazines would be?

I am not sure but mags don't tend to be that valuable... espcially if they are defunct. That is usually an indicator of something.

My dad had every R&T ever... hard cover & bound with gold lettering on the spine ... and got a hundred and half dollars for them. I think the bindings were more than that. Now some of those single issues are selling for $25 or more a pop.

But like anything else. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Couldn't venture a quess even.

They are definitely worth something, especially the earlier issues. I don't think there is a lot of value in them perhaps $5 -$10 each depending on the content. condition and age. They had a lot of great reference material and some even had those really cool Aardvark Models advertisements. Imagine - you could have gotten a Birdcage Maserati kit for $65.00!

I have a larg-ish magazine collection and values can be funny. Those early Hot Rods from 1948 are very slim and do not have a lot of content but issue #1 can go for up to $1000.00 Of course anything from 75 and newer is worth a nominal sum perhaps $3.00 or less. I generally do not pay anything for Motor Trend but may give a few bucks for early 50s copies. Prancing Horse mags go for really good money. Early drag racing stuff goes for serious money. Those Hot Rod Magazine Funny Car pictorials go for $75.00 or more.

The main thing though is to enjoy them. I would probably get rid of most of my model cars before I would get rid of the magazines. I really dig them. B)

Andy is right. Depending on which issue it is, it can be up to about $20 or so as I have seen on eBay. I have a handful of the magazines and enjoy reading them. I of course have most of the latter ones and have been looking for the early ones for quite some time. It just depends on how much a person is willing to pay. I have contemplated trying to find someone who would lend me their collection so I can scan it all as I care more about the reference material.

Nic