Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Drag Car Hauler.....UPDATE 1/29/14

Ok..i have always wanted to build a ramp style drag car hauler. I know AMT makes one...BUT...its in 1/24 scale. I wanted to go bigger...so I decided to do it in 1/16 scale. I have never seen it done before...maybe it has....but I have never seen it. I also love the 1/16 scale funny cars and dragsters...so that's what gave me the idea to build this monster. Out of the box...this truck measures about 20 inches long. My version...will be about 30 inches long...maybe a little longer. Since there is nobody out there making stuff for these trucks like this...I will have to scratchbuild the WHOLE bed area. I have also posted a mock-up picture with just a funny car body to get a general idea of how it will look...and I posted a "just for fun" pic of the size comparison between this monster and a 1/24 scale semi. This is the first time ever I have done this much scratchbuilding on a model...and it is certainly the only time I have ever had to build 2 models for one project.

This is whats been done so far.....

Frame lengthened 7 inches

Scratchbuilding the whole bed area

Opening up the cabinet doors on the driver side...the passenger side doors are just scribed in

Made all the hinges for the doors

There is still ALOT to do to this project. Sorry for the big rush of pictures...but I have been taking them and decided to post them here.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Stockframe.jpg

Onwheels.jpg

bedsides.jpg

closedcabinets.jpg

closeddoors.jpg

opendoors.jpg

rearbumper.jpg

funnycarmockup.jpg

sizecomparison.jpg

Edited by Wolfangel

You're looking good, Man....I really like your idea....I'm with you....I've never seen anyone build one of these in 1/16 scale, before, either....The project is looking great.....Opening doors and all....I like the direction you're going with it.....Any idea on what colors you'll be using....??? Should make for a very nice piece of work, either way.....

Here is the next update. As you can see I have the hinges on the doors. All it really is...is a piece of 1/16 (ironic) piece of aluminum tubing..some paperclips bent into a 90 degree angle top and bottom...and then placed into pieces of rubber tubing glued to the top and bottom of the cabinet. As you can also see, I have made a small magnetic catch for the door. The magnet is on the bracket on the frame and then a piece of metal sheet on the door. As you can see I got ALLLLL the bracing done on the bottom..and there is a bunch of it. Helped strengthen the whole thing considerably. You can also see I have made the upper ramps where the front tires will go into...along with the "rub strips" along the edges. This will have a diamond plate overlay when its done. I have also included a pic of how its going to look with a funny car on the back of it. This is NOT the funny car that will end up on this truck..that is a surprise. Hope you enjoy it so far...any comments are welcome

Door Hinges

doorhinge.jpg

Underneath Bracing

bracing.jpg

Upper Ramps

upperramps.jpg

Funnycar mockup 1

funnycar1.jpg

Funnycar mockup 2

funnycar2.jpg

This is a very nice project you got, here....And a motivating one, as well.....I've just purchased two of these 1/16 scale KW's, because of this project....You've got some great ideas going into this one, and the simplicity of the cabinet doors is probably the best.....Piano hinges are NOT my thing, and this tip could open up quite a few doors for me.. :)...If you'll pardon the pun.....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 3 months later...