Model Cars Magazine Forum

last year of the big buic motor

aristoi

my best friend and i were working on a 1970 Buick GSX that we dug out of a scrap yard. The real car was striped down to frame after we got it and we started from there. we got the new floors in and the body totally redone and primered and wire harshness backin. we were waiting on the tranny rear and engine and motor when my friend was killed in an auto accident.

Three weeks later I went to get the car and his family had scraped it. I found the 70 Buick GSX model in a store on clearance. I snagged it the seconded. I saw it. soon as I learn to get pictures off my phone I will up date you all

I am doing it just as we had it planed none of the factory non-sence.

Edited by aristoi

Oh wow Don.... Was this recent? Whether it was or not, so sorry for your loss and this experience. That had to be devastating. I think I can understand why his folks scrapped the car in their distress.

Very cool that you found the model and can continue this project on a more intimate scale.

Looking forward to watching this project, Don! Thanks for sharing!

Oh wow Don.... Was this recent? Whether it was or not, so sorry for your loss and this experience. That had to be devastating. I think I can understand why his folks scrapped the car in their distress.

Very cool that you found the model and can continue this project on a more intimate scale.

Looking forward to watching this project, Don! Thanks for sharing!

No It wasn't recent or I would have cried my eyes out instead of bought it. it still hurts but some of the sting is gone. I am glad to find it however. it does bring back a lot of good memory's and some bad ones to. What we had done and and what still makes me angry is we had over $1000.00 sunk into the restoration when his parents scraped it. They Knew I would be coming to get the car to finish it for my friend. But bygone are bygone I can do this just like we planed on doing the real one.

Thanks every one for your condolincis. Now that I can get pictures off my phone you will see the progress.

Edited by aristoi

• 2 weeks later...

I think your engine looks great...maybe building a cool muscle car from 1970 is just the thing, some how your pal will be right there with you...I will be looking forward to see the love you guys put in to this one...I built the 70 chevelle it was the old Monogram kit 1:24 scale molded in blue with the 454....I bought it at an antique store my wife and I went to...Best antiquing trip yet...the kit was rough windows scratched, Chrome not so great. I did my best to make it look right....It was a joy to build. I think these car are Kindred spirits both being GM products...You can see my Chevy in the General Topics the one about Muscle Cars. Enjoy your "Build"