Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Vette

Mizozuman2

I got bored, and since I'm on spring break for school... I have no means for bedtime. (Man, monday's gonna bite me in the butt! LOL)

Anyways, here's what I've got going for this kit so far

post-12149-0-01926900-1395477488_thumb.j

It's Semi-Gloss Tamiya, but it looks more like a Matte Black, or satin black in person. And their bright green. I haven't gotten to the fine detailing on the paint work yet, but once that's done, it'll look a bit nicer. :)

I haven't began work on anything else yet, I just yanked the body out, cleaned it up real nice, prepped, and sprayed. :P

I'm debating on whether or not to swap out the 350 with a 454 i have from another kit. What do you all think?

More updates whenever I can. :) (I'm not too good on the updates, I like to get carried away with building sometimes. LOL)

NICE start Tucker, as far as the engine swap I personally would go with the 454 but it's totally up to you I'm working on a 64 chevy pickup that I'm going to swap engines going with a 427 from a prostreet Chevelle gluebomb I bought for parts, would really be sweet if you had a LT engine to drop in it. I like the color choice. Hey get some rest I know your young but no sleep will come back and bite you in the butt!!! ;):)

NICE start Tucker, as far as the engine swap I personally would go with the 454 but it's totally up to you I'm working on a 64 chevy pickup that I'm going to swap engines going with a 427 from a prostreet Chevelle gluebomb I bought for parts, would really be sweet if you had a LT engine to drop in it. I like the color choice. Hey get some rest I know your young but no sleep will come back and bite you in the butt!!! ;):)

You wouldn't happen to mean an LT engine like say... from a '95 or '96 Corvette? ;) I've got 3 of those kits laying around. I could probably get away with putting the extra LS7 I have in one of those C4 'Vette's. :P

It's been a while. I got so far into other people's builds that I didn't think much on mine! lol

Anyways, I've gotten the Engine halves together. I decided to go with PappyD340's Idea of an LT1 in it. I'm using them out of a '96 'Vette kit. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do about the intake on it, as it's some form of a "Cowl Induction". But I'll get that figure out later. ;)

No paintwork done yet on the engine. Also debating on that. LOL But I think I'm going to go with the same green on the outside of the car, on the block, and make the Transmission Flat Aluminum.

I'll have more up soon this time, probably late tonight, or early tomorrow. :)

Alright, so I got the engine halves painted in Flat Aluminum. I'm going to go back over the engine block itself later in the Green that's on the outside of the car once this layer of paint dries.

post-12149-0-03904500-1396166763_thumb.j

I'm not sure if I should do the bell housing in black, or just leave it the way it is now.

The heads are also going to be the Aluminum color, to give it that touch of "aftermarket" look. :)

I'm not sure if I want to try and use the rear suspension on the newer 'Vette, or not. I'm not sure. :P

I also got the Chrome trim painted on too.

post-12149-0-01964100-1396166683_thumb.j

I still need to do the side trim, so you can't see that part yet. LOL

Anyways, that's all I've gotten done so far. More updates later this week hopefully.

Hey Tucker, looking good you did an awesome job painting that trim, and personally I think you made a good choice on the engine not because I suggested it but it just seems that you are kinda going in the restomod direction and with that said I would go with the updated suspension also. I was going to suggest green on the bellhousing too but since the block is going green black may not be a bad choice, but you can always Google Corvette restomods or customs and see if you can find some underneath photos and kinda get an idea that way I'm sure you will figure something out. Oh BTW have you ever tried Bare Metal Foil it's great stuff and takes the headache out of painting trim? looking forward to another update!! :)

Hey Tucker, looking good you did an awesome job painting that trim, and personally I think you made a good choice on the engine not because I suggested it but it just seems that you are kinda going in the restomod direction and with that said I would go with the updated suspension also. I was going to suggest green on the bellhousing too but since the block is going green black may not be a bad choice, but you can always Google Corvette restomods or customs and see if you can find some underneath photos and kinda get an idea that way I'm sure you will figure something out. Oh BTW have you ever tried Bare Metal Foil it's great stuff and takes the headache out of painting trim? looking forward to another update!! :)

I've heard about the Bare Metal Foil before, but haven't picked some up. I might get some in my next order. :)

I've got most of the engine finished and painted now. All I have left is figuring out the wiring situation and how to make it work in the new body. :)

Here's some pictures of it.

post-12149-0-52357900-1396511765_thumb.j

post-12149-0-81064700-1396511777_thumb.j

post-12149-0-81160800-1396511789_thumb.j

post-12149-0-62897300-1396511801_thumb.j

My computers camera isn't super great. I'm hoping to pick up a cheap digital camera to take pictures with. My mom has a Canon Rebel EOS, but I don't like luggin' that big thing out. Haha

So I came across the realization this morning that the engine "floats" in the engine bay, because there's no engine mounts off the timing cover, like there is on the original kits engine. Luckily, I caught it and will be able to work it onto the front of the new engine.

Made a big leap in the construction of this kit today, I got the engine (Almost) successfully fitted into the engine bay. The engine that originally comes in this kit had the engine mounts on the side of the timing covers. They had to be cut off, and glued onto the sides of the engine. Tedious work there to get it centered and level. Haha

some pictures, though this camera doesn't give much justification. :P

post-12149-0-70130300-1396679557_thumb.j

post-12149-0-30643600-1396679566_thumb.j

post-12149-0-36967700-1396679575_thumb.j

Hope you all like it. Another update will probably come tomorrow. :)