Model Cars Magazine Forum

54 GMC 2400 Panel Truck

I don't.

There was a resin caster I used to see from time to time on ebay who used to offer a GMC conversion for the AMT 1950 Chevy truck. If you can find one the differences between a '50 and a '54 are pretty minor. I haven't seen that conversion offered for some time.

Jimmy Flintstone has 1955-57 panel and Suburban bodies that might be useful, but I've not seen any for the 47-54 body style.

I think that there is a real need for some of the more obscure stuff like a 1954 conversion ot a complete cab. There is also a real lack of Chevrolet to GMC conversion stuff that would probably sell fairly well if it was available. I have to wonder how many guys look for and would buy- say a 60's GMC grille and dash board and so they can't find it, and quietly settle for what is available - a Chevrolet. Perhaps GMC scripts, hub caps and emblems could be added to the Chevy truck photo etch stuff??Just my opinion...

Edited by impcon

I agree, it seems to be a bit of an untapped market.

I think a part of it may be that at least on the older GMC's it is not quite as simple as just a different grill / tailgate as with the later trucks. I know the 1950 GMC conversion included a new hood as well. There is GMC on the hood and also slightly different shape where it meets the grill. GMC also had it's own engines back then. The I-6 can be faked well enough by using the GMC color vs the Chevrolet color (green vs grey I believe), but in the 1960s GMC offered some very different engines including a neat 305 V-6. Side scripts are always an issue so delicate PE is pretty much a must to do it right.

On my someday list I want to convert a '60 Chevy truck to GMC, but would so happy if I could just buy a good conversion kit to do it.

I was unaware of the hood being different between the Chevy and the GMC. One would think that with 3D printing, conjuring the odd stuff and conversion kits up would be somewhat easier. I don't know that much about the process but after seeing the '30's race car made with the 3D process, you'd think that the smaller scales would be easier. Once the car has been scanned and the information is on a computer, making new masters for resin molds would theoretically be quicker and more cost efficient. But again, I do not know that much about the process.

I have a die cast 1951 GMC Panel 1:25 scale made by the ERTL company for Snap-On Tools years ago. Proportions look decent, could probably make something out of it with some work, it was a coin bank so there is a slot in the top. There might be some grill differences between '51-'54, not really sure. You can have it you want to try making something out of it, PM me.

I seem to recall (or I could be imagining) that the reason why there aren't a lot if GMC conversions available is because GMC has issued cease and desist orders to resin casters.

Edited by kataranga