Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Airbrushing Really This Much of a Pain?

what type of paint are ou having trouble with? Water base or solvent base? Im new to an airbrush had similar problems and it ws my fault for not reducing paint with the proper reducer and adjusting the pressure to a constant 30psi at the airbrush.

I use both but I suspect that the acrylic paint is the culprit as that is the last thing that sprayed well out of the brush.

Not really trying to highjack the thread or anything but im also thinking about getting into airbrushing for the very first time saw some airbrush kits on ebay for $120 bucks or so I never done this before so I have no idea what to expect but im sure it cant be that much to it the kit comes with compressor and all the hooks up a Master brand airbrush G22 model dual action 0.3mm needle and nozzle and a G25 dual action 0.2mm needle and nozzle then a gravity fed one that has a .8mm nozzle not real sure on the quality but it all looks nice anyone else every use these or have any info it has like 2500 watchs on ebay so its definetly people buying or using these anyways heres the link tell me what you guys think

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390593716868?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Alger1X, the nozzle sizes in that set are pretty small for painting. They are more suited to inks and light waterbased paints like used on t-shirts. As Crazyjim said, get a compressor with an air tank. Those always running compressors are very noisy and very distracting when you are trying to paint. It is also nearly impossible to regulate the air to the brush, even though it has a regulator on it.

TCP Global is a good vendor they deal with all sorts of automotive 1:1 paints and tools. Check their website, they may have a better setup for a model maker. Also check Coast Airbrush, they carry all the good stuff.

Not really trying to highjack the thread or anything but im also thinking about getting into airbrushing for the very first time saw some airbrush kits on ebay for $120 bucks or so I never done this before so I have no idea what to expect but im sure it cant be that much to it the kit comes with compressor and all the hooks up a Master brand airbrush G22 model dual action 0.3mm needle and nozzle and a G25 dual action 0.2mm needle and nozzle then a gravity fed one that has a .8mm nozzle not real sure on the quality but it all looks nice anyone else every use these or have any info it has like 2500 watchs on ebay so its definetly people buying or using these anyways heres the link tell me what you guys think

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390593716868?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If I were you, I would not go with this setup. I would stick to name brand airbrushes and compressors. The reason I say this is the quality control on these off brands are hit or miss, some work great, some don't. Also how long will the manufacturer of Master airbrushes be around? Paasche, Badger, and the like have been around for ages. Can you go to almost any hobby shop or art supply store and get replacement parts for a Master airbrush? I think it would be highly unlikely.

My Badger compressor finally gave out a while back after 20-30 some years of very hard abuse. I used it on the road for airbrush truck lettering, so it got thrown around, knocked over, loaded in and out a vehicle on a daily basis. I really doubt that Master compressor will live up to that abuse. I then looked on ebay for the exact same compressor and found one with about 20minutes of run time on it, a Badger 150 AB with the same amount of use, a hose and quick disconnect. The deal also came with about 14 bottles of water base paint of which only 2 were ever opened. All this for $120-125 ( I forget the actual price I paid) plus shipping. So basically I bought a bunch of paint at retail price and got a free compressor, airbrush, hose and quick disconnect. A week later I found another deal on the same compressor for $25, it was listed as used, but there was no evidence of it having even had a hose connected to it. So for $25 plus shipping, I have one compressor to keep at home and one to go on the road with me.

I would suggest you keep looking on ebay as there are deals out there, you just need to be patient.

Get a compressor with a supply tank, holding tank, whatever you call it. The one pictured doesn't have a tank.

While a tank is nice, it is not necessary at all for an airbrush. That is provided you buy a quality compressor made for airbrushes.

Ok thanks for the great advice guys reason I posted I knew I would get the correct answer thanks I do believe ill just hold out for alittle longer till I can actually save up and get a good setup just wasn't sure I thought it was too good to be true that was a lot of stuff for that amount of money I heard a good airbrush alone would cost between $75-150 I was like ok im getting 3 and a compressor quality has got to lack but thanks for the input. Im sure it was stated above but what would be a good setup to start out with I want something that I can get comfortable with I am pretty artistic so I would love to start applying to my models