Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 AMT Triumph MC parts tree ID help needed

I picked up a box of parts recently & determined that some of them came from the AMT '62 Ford Galaxie hardtop Styleline kit.

I'm also wanting to know if these parts were only available in the 1962 kits.

The instructions from Drastic Plastics show the MC parts that were included in the kit.

62fordhdtpinst8-vi.jpg

Here is the parts I have. I'm assuming where the yellow arrow is pointing would have been the MC taillight bezel.

I looked through the rest of the instructions and have no idea what the other parts are for.

There appears be two custom headlight buckets but I'm wondering what the ribbed parts are for.

mcparts001-crop.jpg

Front view

mcparts003-crop.jpg

Rear view

mcparts005-crop.jpg

The two ribbed parts are grille inserts for the Stylized version. You are probably correct regarding the missing part (I checked my '62 annual kit but the extra "half tree" containing those parts isn't there). In the other '62 kits I have, or have looked at, the accessory motorcycle (or go-kart) parts were usually grouped together. Some parts were included in more than one kit, so it's not like you had to buy specific kits to get all of the parts. The parts in one kit might be plated (go-kart wheels) while in the other kit they would be white plastic.

These parts were only in the '62 kits. For the '63 annuals, a complete Triumph motorcycle was included in the Chevy pickup kit, and a complete go-kart went into the Ford pickup. The '63 cycle had an optional Bonneville-style streamlining canopy, and the go-kart had a Bonneville-style outer body. I don't know if those parts were in the '62 kits, but I don't think so. I never checked the parts from the pickups vs. the scattered '62 annual kits, but I'd guess that many of them were the same. The tooling for those items may have been done all at once and then scattered over the '62 kits, then joined together for '63. AMT never did that sort of thing again (scattering accessory item parts), so I'd guess that the idea didn't go over well.