Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24th Scale Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA

mikevillena

Started working on some of the finishing details since I won't be able to spend too much time on the bench this morning. I thought about adapting my technique for scale license plates. Used some plastic cling wrap, the kit's decal sheet, a small piece of aluminum foil and filler/primer paint.

IMG_1234_zps7b1c49fb.jpg

After giving it a shot of black trim paint and painting the raised characters with titanium white acrylic:

IMG_1235_zps2158d90d.jpg

IMG_1237_zps72c61ccc.jpg

The 1/24th scale license plate next to a 1/10th scale license plate for my AE86:

IMG_1239_zpsdc469306.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsfa76568b.jpg

Overall, it came out okay but I will try to improve the technique further.

Edited by mikevillena

Mike, the most impressive thing about this build is that I can always sense the finish line. I hope you can too.

Thanks Robin. I know it's taking a long time.... I haven't even ordered the paint as I'm on the fence on the colour. Corsa Rosso or Plain Silver? :unsure:

Went back and refined the license plate. This time I used .010 clear plastic upon which to trace the characters. I also allowed the filler/primer paint to cure for several hours.

IMG_1240_zps164a4e46.jpg

The fully cured filler/primer paint was firmer so the impression was crisper this time:

IMG_1241_zpseb48983c.jpg

IMG_1242_zps3573bd09.jpg

IMG_1243_zps10ad6a91.jpg

I decided to adapt the technique I came up with for the igauges on my ancient 1/10th scale Mini build. However, I won't be able to retain the moving dials:

MiniCooperR003.jpg

IMG_1244_zpsf63805cf.jpg

IMG_1245_zps29642849.jpg

IMG_1246_zps8bc2f4d4.jpg

IMG_1247_zpscdbd591a.jpg

IMG_1248_zps32bd1551.jpg

Mike thanks for the ..--- tip ! now if I may ask again , how did you do the gauge faces, I understand the needl part, but where did the gauges come from? thanks again, Brilliant work again, Shaun.s

Hi Shaun. The Tamiya kit provides decals for the gauge faces. I simply applied them to the scratchbuilt backing. I applied some MicroSol to help them snuggle down and coated them with Vallejo Gloss Varnish. I also used a tiny drop of the varnish to glue a piece of stretched sprue and laid the gauge needle on top of that to elevate the needle giving it a 3D effect. I forgot that Evergreen styrene has a surface texture so the gauge face is slightly textured when seen up close.

So much detail, so much work, so little time..

how about you pass some of that talent this way.

Glad you are sharing with us all

Thanks Drew. I'm not sure it's talent. Rather it's more like problem solving. We as modellers are always asking ourselves "how do I replicate that in scale?". Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I've had a little more practice because of the extensive scratchbuilding that I was forced to do in my larger 1/10th scale RC projects. Now my challenge is to improve my build quality and to do so in a considerably smaller scale. :wacko:

I haven't been able to spend much time on the bench as I was extremely busy preparing for a job interview with CAT yesterday. Anyway, I used a lump of clay and borrowed the seat from my Tamiya 935/78 to determine how high to make the seatbelt mounting crossbar. It has to be at or higher than the shoulders:

IMG_1249_zps94f27f17.jpg

One of the many areas that I needed to improve on was the kit's disc brakes. Although much of it will be hidden in the final assembly I wanted to see what can be done. The intent was to replicate a near stock brake disc but ventilated and cross drilled. I started by sawing a slit and glueing tiny segments of .010 x .020 styrene:

IMG_1250_zpsae0b8546.jpg

IMG_1251_zps27c04268.jpg

After trimming the excess styrene and sanding the disc round:

IMG_1252_zps2ac47dff.jpg

The tricky bit step of cross drilling:

IMG_1254_zpsd2a691f5.jpg

I also started modifying the passenger seat based on some reference photos. Ultimately, the seat back will be hinged.

IMG_1253_zpse6b88b74.jpg

I purchased some Alumilite Mold Putty and casting resin so that I can make a duplicate the 935/78 seat to use for the driver's side.

Found some reference photos for the passenger seat. The upholstery has an interesting texture:

AR775946_a120_1_zps5dc354a1.jpg

I experimented with various techniques but I think I've found something that comes close:

IMG_1255_zps387d6924.jpg

But I found something that is even closer:

IMG_1261_zpsc3e2cf96.jpg

Rollcage in primer:

IMG_1257_zps13719a8f.jpg

Played around with making a mold of the seat from my Alfa 155 V6 DTM and tried to familiarize myself with casting. First shot was horrendous as to be expected. I modified the mold somewhat and I preheated it before pouring the resin. This Alumilite Super Plastic is really great. It flows very nicely and cures firmly but is easy to carve:

IMG_1258_zps6e403d68.jpg

Spent some time cleaning up the seat and filling in some short areas and pin holes. Fabricated the seat mount:

IMG_1259_zps2afc0908.jpg

IMG_1260_zps2f19ee5d.jpg

Edited by mikevillena

Painted the driver's seat and used some red flocking to simulate the cover. I also used Scale Motorsport Kevlar decal for the first time. Had to apply MicroSol to get it to snuggle down. A few tiny bubbles here and there. Oh well.

IMG_1263_zps59fbc7f1.jpg

IMG_1264_zps2866184f.jpg

Started building out the front cowl structures:

IMG_1262_zps0300468f.jpg

IMG_1265_zps3ef2058e.jpg

Project snapshot:

IMG_1267_zps400e27e1.jpg

Started work on the doors and door jambs. Thinned out the door skins:

IMG_1270_zps4a10f8d7.jpg

Used more robust .030 thick styrene for the door jamb base structure because of stresses due to the doors opening and closing. The hinge area is also reinforced with a bead of thick CA on the inside joints.

IMG_1268_zps5444a59b.jpg

IMG_1269_zpsc77a1dee.jpg

IMG_1272_zps1313aa65.jpg

IMG_1271_zps37c734ad.jpg

IMG_1273_zpsceb082c1.jpg

Additional surface details will be added.

More, More we want more!!! this is great craftsmanship!!!

wow!

Thanks guys for the very kind compliments, I don't know about great craftsmanship but I'm having a lot of fun even if it gets frustrating sometimes. And I thank you for sticking with this build as it is turning out to be a saga! And to think that I was going to build it "box stock" :lol:

Started adding more structures to the door jamb:

IMG_1275_zpsd52fa235.jpg

IMG_1276_zps24985612.jpg

Quick check on the door fit and making sure that it sits flush with the surrounding bodywork:

IMG_1274_zpsccf13c2f.jpg

A quick and thick coat of filler/primer or surfacer to begin blending:

IMG_1280_zps6414204d.jpg

I also thinned out the lower grill openings on the front cowl based on my observations of the full sized car:

IMG_1278_zps2aab89a0.jpg

IMG_1277_zpse0626da0.jpg

IMG_1279_zpse1939cc1.jpg

More progress on the door jamb:

IMG_1281_zps13ca825f.jpg

IMG_1287_zps582d212c.jpg

Started work on the door. I carefully cut a groove on the vent frame to accept the side glass using my razor saw:

IMG_1282_zpsc9d8ad17.jpg

I ground off part of the molded trim to provide clearance for the glass:

IMG_1283_zps1644130b.jpg

I built the glass guide channel using Evergreen strips:

IMG_1284_zps615552ed.jpg

IMG_1285_zps407bd8af.jpg

IMG_1286_zps4aebf72d.jpg

I have to say your build is incredible and quite inspirational. Also The level of detail of amazing, I've seen a road going Alfa of this age and type down to it being just a rolling shell and you model instantly makes me think of it, you really have raised the bar here.

I have to say your build is incredible and quite inspirational. Also The level of detail of amazing, I've seen a road going Alfa of this age and type down to it being just a rolling shell and you model instantly makes me think of it, you really have raised the bar here.

It is extremely kind of you to say so but considering the depth of skill and talent by other builders on this forum, I would be happy to even be considered as "competent". Critically speaking, the project has minor issues and many aspects that can be improved. But I am having fun and hopefully learning. Again thank you for the very kind and if somewhat overly generous words. :D

More work on the door and general fit:

IMG_1291_zps862dc397.jpg

IMG_1292_zps5cc93d2c.jpg

Several tries at building the door hinges:

IMG_1289_zps50dfcf8d.jpg

I didn't like the fit and function so I made a new set and moved the pivot points outwards:

IMG_1293_zps90e71d11.jpg

IMG_1294_zps92807a56.jpg

IMG_1295_zps0bce38ff.jpg

IMG_1296_zpsf91f01d2.jpg

The doors open reasonably well. The hinges are not exactly to scale but that is the limitation when working with relatively soft styrene. I don't have the ability to do photo-etching in house for the moment so it will have to do.

Edited by mikevillena

Hey Mike, jus checking in, as always super fantastic detail, ,,,,,, 3 things, #1 the relief in the upper front door panels, to clear the rollbar,,,AWESOME, #2 the door hinges,,,,,,AWESOMR!!!! #3 the DOOR PANELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! I CANT TAKE ANY MORE, im just gonna go away and take up playing w/ dolls or somthin'.Shaun.s