Model Cars Magazine Forum

World's Most Beautiful Model Roadster Contest 2008

• 4 weeks later...
Here you go CH!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17633

There's actually TWO contests this year, check it out.

If one of the powers that be could unsticky this topic and sticky the othre one, that'd be just swell :lol:;):)

Hey James,

I've been watching this since last year when you posted over at Dave's Rally, I even voted & enjoyed all the builds. BUT before I jump in & get involved I have a couple questions...

1st; Why does the car (entry) need to be 1937 or before..? I don't know what the actual AMBR rules state , I know I,ve seen cars from 1940 there. I'd like to build a little beyond 37'...

2nd; Is this just for bragging rights or is there more to it..? Not that it matters much but I think Gregg would want to do a feature on something like this. If I'm going to invest large chunks of time inti this, I'd like to know what's at the end of the rainbow. I'm sure you understand..!

Hizoot B)

post-4033-1233798534_thumb.jpg

Hey James,

I've been watching this since last year when you posted over at Dave's Rally, I even voted & enjoyed all the builds. BUT before I jump in & get involved I have a couple questions...

1st; Why does the car (entry) need to be 1937 or before..? I don't know what the actual AMBR rules state , I know I,ve seen cars from 1940 there. I'd like to build a little beyond 37'...

2nd; Is this just for bragging rights or is there more to it..? Not that it matters much but I think Gregg would want to do a feature on something like this. If I'm going to invest large chunks of time inti this, I'd like to know what's at the end of the rainbow. I'm sure you understand..!

Hizoot :)

Hey 'zoot, how's it going?

The official rules for the AMBR (at least, the ones I found) state that it's meant to be pre 37 or earlier style. That said, it can also be a body style 'in the style' or something pre-37, s there's some leeway there. I wont split hairs...

Last year was for bragging rights, although we had a sponsored trophy that sadly didnt come off. if my financial situation is cool at the end of the year I'll pony up for some trophies myself, but really, you ought abe shooting to just make a gorgeous build for the pleasure of it. I'm sure everyone would be though...

Slant6, check here for this year's thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17633

Hey Jim,

I'm doing well & still hang out at Daves CC#2 but just not as much... Last year I had way too many obligations for this contest but this year could be different. I understand you need guidelines but you know me, I live outside the box, so the idea of building a phantom like the one's I've seen the last several years at the GNRS is only natural for me. As I said, I didn't ask just for myself & if we see 2 or 3, 41 Willys phantom roadsters, then that alone will make a statement. Lots of beautiful cars to build & so I thank you for your understanding on this issue. Funny thing is that at this years GNRS they offered rule books over the PA system that included next years changes. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not grabbing one !

I have no problem with bragging rights as the only reward but maybe we can get Gregg & or Darryl to do some coverage for this..? The worst that can happen is they say no... Just a thought & I'd like to help if possible. Until then, I'll get my current projects finished as well as organize my ideas for the WMBMR 2009 contest..!

Hizoot :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This may be an idea for a totally different contest or it may liberate this one I do not know...

In the hot rod world, it seems like the Ridler award is the one everyone chases lately. The works of art/automobiles are outstanding, amazing, one off creations that are hard as hell each year to top.

What if there was a Model Ridler award... someone could master a trophy that looks like a miniature of the Ridler award.... It is a cool art deco looking trophy and I am sure many would be thrilled to have it in their possession for a year (the Ridler is a traveling trophy).

Here are the rules posted for the sake of discussion:

Don Ridler was the first professional promoter hired by the Michigan Hot Rod Association to assist them with their fledgling Autorama in the fifties. With Don’s creativity and professional approach in promoting, Autorama was able to grow tremendously, and eventually move to its present home at Cobo Center in 1961. In 1963, Autorama decided to honor Don Ridler, who had prematurely passed away, with an award given in his name.

Originally the award was given to the Best Vehicle first-time shown. Over the last forty years the award has evolved to better conform to new ideas, changing designs and concepts. Today it emphasizes creativity, engineering and workmanship. Anyone building a vehicle for Ridler competition should post these words on their garage wall. The vehicle that best represents these three areas will win the Ridler Award.

In addition to the above judging guidelines, there are a few hard and fast rules, with no exceptions.

1. The vehicle must make its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama. Showing the vehicle at any indoor or outdoor show or any part of the entry, i.e. frame, engine or body, will make it ineligible for contention.

Realizing that car owners and builders may need some form or exposure to develop interest or to gain sponsorship and give credit to suppliers and/or sponsors, magazine and video build-up coverage is allowed. No articles, video footage or stories with photos of the vehicle in finished form will be allowed until after the award has been presented, i.e. car cannot be painted or upholstered to be used in any media format.

2. The vehicle must prove minimal operability. It must start, move forward and backward under its own power, turn left and right and stop using the brake pedal, before it is placed on the floor for display. Keep in mind that this is a minimum to qualify. Operational function ability is something the judges will look at.

Once the final Ridler Contenders have been determined, the field will be narrowed to 8 Finalists, which will be referred to as the Pirelli Tire Great Eight. Because of the number of entries contending for the Great Eight, the process of elimination will begin on Thursday evening after move-in has been completed. Entries do not need to be 100% set-up, but should be to a state that they can be evaluated fairly. The Pirelli Tire Great 8 Finalists will be announced Friday morning and they will be introduced at the Circle of Champions Brunch on Saturday morning.

If an entry is selected as a Pirelli Tire Great 8 Ridler Finalists the car will not be eligible for any Autorama awards including class judging and special awards. Each of the Pirelli Tire Great 8 will, however, receive a cash award of $1,000 – paid on Friday of the show. Owners and builders should also keep in mind that they may be asked during the weekend to close up their vehicle to be checked for fit and finish, and to make sure everything is operational.

There will be a Pirelli Tire Great Eight Ridler Contenders meeting Saturday at 7:00 p.m. for the builders and owners. This meeting is an opportunity to meet the other finalists, the judging staff and ask questions on how your car will be judged.

As title sponsor of ISCA’s GM Performance Parts Show Car Series, GM Performance Parts found it only fitting to sponsor the most prestigious award in the indoor custom car show industry. The winner receives America’s most prestigious trophy and Ridler Award jacket, his name on the plaque in the lobby of Cobo Center and his car featured on the 1st place trophies presented the following year. The builder of the Ridler winner receives a 1/3 scale Ridler Trophy. Since 1992, GM Performance Parts has offered a cash prize of $10,000 and a GM crate motor to the Ridler Award winner at each year’s Detroit Autorama.

• 1 month later...

Here you go Bob:

http://www.automodelling.com/forum.php?id=2&tid=55919

Well, we're back, with a new contest for 2009. After the terrific response we got last year we're hoping to have a tonne of builds included in this year's comp, and to build the competition even more.

Here's the deal, ripped from last year's post:

"Here's the deal: Build a 1:24 or 1:25 roadster of any body style of 1937 or older, or design a body all of your own of a similar look. Build it full detail, curbside of slammer style.

You got until November 30th to get it done and submit your five best pictures. Voting will be done by the members on a few participating forums, including this one and will run one month. The first three weeks of voting, which runs all of December, will be followed by a 'final' for the 10 highest-placed cars. Of these ten, the award will be voted for the best received car of the ten.

If you wanna post WIPS, which I'm gonna seriously encourage, or discuss the contest, this is a good place to do it!

If you're stuck for inspiration think Oakland Roadster show (or Google it!)"

Good luck fellas!

And regarding the Ridler-type contest.......

http://www.automodelling.com/forum.php?id=2&tid=55921 :lol: