Model Cars Magazine Forum

big block cougar eliminator

if I want to do a big block eliminator cougar (I think they were 429 CJ motors, I know there were 390's also, I want to do a 429 CJ car), can I use the AMT #6529 1969 Cougar CJ428 as a starting point? how different is the 429 to the 428?how much is different from the 428 CJ cougar to the $29 Eliminator version? I will google this and check my magazines, but someone has a 428 cougar model kit up for trade and I would like to know how much I would have to do/change.

thanks in advance,

Tubbs

How different a 428 is to a 429...one cubic inch....no I'm kidding...the answer is very.

The 428 is a FE family engine together with 332, 352, 361, 390, 406, 410 and 427, and the 429 is a 385 family engine together with the 460...so they are two totally different engines...the 429 is both longer and wider than the FE and the outside apperance of the two don't have much in common.

If you want to do a 429 a good engine can be found in the Revell Pro Modeler 70 Torino GT and the Revell 70 Torino Cobra, they are the best there is and I think someone has casted them in resin.

Edited by Force

Good source of info is the Mercury Cougar Eliminator Registry homepage. Check the Definition and Specs pages for engine info.

http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com

When I want accurate info, I look for collector registries. They don't take their cars - autos - lightly.

Dale

thanks Dale..... and I know what you mean by taking their cars lightly.... back in the day when I was doing a hemi road runner, I got told millions of times that this is wrong or that was wrong...... totally another post subject and I understand completely. thanks again, I will check it out.