Model Cars Magazine Forum

COE Steering Gear

I have tried to find this info via Google with no luck. Just how does the steering gear work on a COE truck?

I'm doing a Frieghtliner COE and for the life of me I can't figure out how the steering wheel connects to the steering box (and allows the cab to tilt).

Do some trucks have telescoping shafts? Do some have the gear disconnect during a tilt?

I've got a pretty good mechanical imagination but I can't figure this out.

Thanks

Kinda hard to see,but here is an F-600 Series Mack C.O.E,you can see the steering shaft extended with the slip joint in the up or tilt position if you click on and enlarge the picture................................Mark

post-9862-0-89719000-1402524363_thumb.jp

Edited by Mackvision

yes, the steering shaft telescopes above the u-joint on the steering box on a Freigtiner COE.

Shift linkage is chassis mounted and the shift lever goes through a hole in the deck beside the tunnel. Have to make sure the lever aligns with the hole to tilt the cab. Clutch linkage seperates - there is a small frame mounted guide that aligns a fork on the end of the clutch rod with the lever on the pedal below the deck. Most of the air brake control and heater plumbing between the cab and chassis routes around the cab pivot on the passenger side.

Sorry, this isn't much detail, but hopefully helps you find more information.

yes, the steering shaft telescopes above the u-joint on the steering box on a Freigtiner COE.

Shift linkage is chassis mounted and the shift lever goes through a hole in the deck beside the tunnel. Have to make sure the lever aligns with the hole to tilt the cab. Clutch linkage seperates - there is a small frame mounted guide that aligns a fork on the end of the clutch rod with the lever on the pedal below the deck. Most of the air brake control and heater plumbing between the cab and chassis routes around the cab pivot on the passenger side.

Sorry, this isn't much detail, but hopefully helps you find more information.

More good info. Thanks.