Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan Javelin Amx's's

novadose71

Two of my latest curbside projects.

I am building the 71(blue in pic) stock for a customer from a promo. It will be Electric Blue with a white T-stripe and twin vinyl tops, blue interior, Rebel wheels, right off the showroom floor.

The 73(orange)will be a metallic brown street machine, tan interior, gold T-stripe, 73 style brown vinyl top, Aluminum Slots and big meats B),The blower hole is cut, but needs some minor tweaking, and I built a bracket to mount the blower on(it is curbside after all). I'm going to try to scratchbuild some Doug Thorley style sidepipes also. This is how I usually picture these cars. I might even try some lace panel painting on this 70's monster.

I'm hoping to have the vinyl top trim done on both next weekend, so I can think about getting these in paint. Lots of overtime at work lately so I'll try to update as time allows. Thanks for stoppin' by.

Picture051.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Edited by novadose71

Here was my initial problem with this kit, notice the big gap between the 72 taillight and the trunklid, not only is it the wrong taillight for this 73 body(smooth roof) but there isn't a filler piece included and no mention of it in the kit instructions. Consequently this filler panel is molded into the blue 71 body so I'll save this taillight for a future 72 conversion project.

Picture056.jpg

The solution, Modelhaus to the rescue. Ordered a 73 taillight panel, lense, and spoiler(mine was misplaced). It's a cheap fix and corrects this kit. Also a pic of some of the inspiration for my car, I am building the street machine for myself

Picture109.jpg

Here is every thing setting on the body. The spoiler took a little filing for a good fit, now I need to fit the taillight panel and bumper, it's going to take a little work. :blink: BTW the rear bumper is cut from a JoHan 69 AMX taillight panel.

Picture100.jpg

Hopefully I can finish the rear of this in the next couple days so I can get making the vinyl tops this weekend. That's all folks.................thanks for stopping.

Well I got my taillight panel done last night, just a little final fitment to do on the rear bumper, then I can send all my chrome parts off to the platers.

I glued strips of Evergreen to the rear of the quarter panel extensions. Then I narrowed the taillight panel so I could fit the two scraps of styrene on(the big squares sticking out back).

Picture129.jpg

Trimmed flush with the 1/4 extensions

Picture132.jpg

A little filler to blend them in and it's done. It's not 100% correct, but it looks a lot better.

Picture137.jpg

Tonight I start to add the vinyl tops. Thanks for stoppin'

I got most of the vinyl top laid out this morning. Just need to add the trim between the windshield and the drip rail, and some light sanding. I redid the driprails and am going to redo the side window sill trim also, then the 71 get's it.........................

Picture178.jpg

Picture183.jpg

Catch ya later

Finished the 73 Vinyl topand side window trim last night, and got the 71 done also, start to finish, it was a good night. Just some sanding on both tonight, wash them up, and prime the bodies. Then I can focus on prepping the chrome parts, and make my sidepipes. Until then, see ya'.

Picture193.jpg

Picture216.jpg

Picture223.jpg

Got my priming done since last post, both bodies turned out pretty good, just a couple minor issues to take care of. I still haven't sent my bumpers to be plated, and that will probably hold up this project in the end, but what are ya gonna do? With any luck I will be posting some in paint pics after this weekend. That's all for now.

Picture172.jpg

Picture195.jpg

I wet sanded the bodies Friday night and sprayed the 71 body last night, 3 coats of 71 AMC electric blue lacquer and 3 coats clear. I'm using nail polish on the 73 and can't fire up my airbrush compressor in the middle of the night, so I didn't spray it last night(I did spray the white on my 56 Ford build instead). It will sit for a few days and then I'll wetsand and polish it before spraying the vinyl top(s). Meanwhile I hope to spray the 73 some morning this week. Until then, thanks for stopping.

jav010.jpg

jav014.jpg

40 below zero(wind chill)outside this morning.My wife stayed home from work and watched the kids while I went in the basement and painted my 73. The clear is very soft yet in the pics. It's nail polish with Dupli-color clear. I wasn't sure about the color on my test spray, it's a quite a bit flashier than I originally planned, but I'm starting to like it. Next is wet sand, polish and then spray the vinyl top texture and colors. See ya

jav022.jpg

jav019.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Slow goin' lately, working on some other projects at the moment. But I did get the 71 body sanded and polished,vinyl top textured white and the surrounding trim painted to match. I plan to paint the taillight cove and headliner some morning this week, BMF and add all the final details to finish the body. The interior is also painted and awaits details.

The 73 hood is polished, and the blower needs details yet. I sanded through the clear on one front fender, it's the size of a pinhead. I need to tape off and re-clear that fender then finish polishing the whole body. The interior is ready for details too.

Also the bumpers were finally sent to the platers. Gotta go, thanks for stopping, bye.

jav043.jpg

Edited by novadose71

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now unsure on an interior color- originally it was going to be close to the factory tan and maybe with white seats- now I'm thinking same brown as the top with white or maybe even tan seats- any thoughts? I'm thinking of going with a black T-stripe now instead of the planned gold also. Now for an update. Due to the previously mentioned burn through I re-cleared the front fender and finished polishing the body. Painted and textured the vinyl top with testors "rubber" in the square bottles. Foiled all the top and window trim. I'll detail paint both bodies and interiors, and hopefully finish, before the bumpers return from the plater. That's all for now, yall come back real soon. :mellow:

jav064.jpg

jav072.jpg