Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 15" Wheels for Light Trucks

Hey folks,

I have a new 1/24 wheel set that I'm ready to start selling. The basic wheel is modeled on a Pacer 15" and I have made two versions; one has a standard Pacer center cap and the other has a manual locking 4X4 hub. These are original 3D models that I have created and are not recasts or modified versions of any kit wheel. There is a wheel back that matches the wheels, too:

NewTruck_zps92447f2d.jpg

They are specifically made to fit the two 15" tires I have already released, but will fit other tires:

NewTruck2_zpsfa738899.jpg

I will be selling these wheels in pair packs (with backs), so if you want to do a 4x4 truck, you'd get one pack of standard wheels and one pack of locking-hub wheels. For a 4x2 truck, you could just get two packs of standard wheels.

I am also thinking about making wheel & tire package sets and putting them on eBay.

Thanks for looking,

Joseph

Those are pretty cool. Have you considered doing a 6 lug version for the GM 4x4 trucks?

Caaaaan Dooooo! Really, with 3D modeling a change like this takes literally a minute. The printing, prepping, molding, and casting is not so quick, though...

Pacer6-Lug_zpse83e9aa9.jpg

I can't find any reference for Pacer ever making a 15", 8-lug wheel like this, though. I can do them and maybe just make a set available for purchase on Shapeways. If I do that, I'll post a link here.

A 15" 8 lug would be an oddity really anytime after the early '60s, or at least from an oem standpoint. By the late '60s and well into the mid '80s, most 3/4-1 ton trucks used either a 16 or 16.5 wheel, a 15 would not clear the brakes on them without grinding the calipers. However, I have seen aftermarket 8 lug 15s, mostly early '80s when the lifted 4x4 scene really started to boom. Even then, 16.5s were more popular. Nice thing, though, is the 1/24 wheels should scale out to right at about 16.5 in 1/25 scale, so it's still a win in my book.