Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '94 Camaro Z/28 *hopefully* a quick build

JTalmage

I'm waiting on parts still for my '68 Charger for the Cannonball build, so instead of staring at it on the bench w/ nothing to do, I decided to start on AMT's 94 Camaro that I've had in my closet for probably 10 years. I got it as a gift from a friend... I'm not a chevy guy so I just never had the desire to build it and it always got pushed to the back of the stack. Well, I had a grand idea to move the misfit kits to the front, to encourage me to get them built. So, I started with this one first since it was the kit I least wanted to build!

So just because I dont particularly care for Chevrolet's or Camaro's.. or this kit, didnt mean I wasnt going try to make it nice, but it wasnt a project I set out intending to make a showstopper out of either.

I did spend about an hour cleaning and pruning all the flash off of the parts.. whew.. talk about a lot. Took quite a bit of filing and sanding to get the hood to fit right. Not 100% happy with it but there's nothing more I can do with it without making it look worse.

Here's a few pics of the engine. Added a little wash here and there to make some depth.

20140818_194047_zpsmyala5f7.jpg

20140818_194105_zpsokswsx3f.jpg

20140818_194120_zpsroeo7exl.jpg

mocked up the body w/ the nose and hood after trimming. It'll do.

20140818_201548_zpsfnhozfhn.jpg

Sprayed it with model masters silver gray metallic

with flash

20140820_204853_zpsfxmtzyhr.jpg

without flash

20140820_204922_zpseevduqjg.jpg

I painted a little too late in the evening and got a bug on the quarter panel! I'll be wetsanding that and respraying it probably tomorrow since its raining.

20140820_204935_zpssqwbwwjs.jpg

Everything else is turning out ok so far.

I sprayed the chassis w/ testors gray primer, then fogged a little silver on it for an overspray look. Bumpers still need the ends painted but I was in a hurry to get it out of the humidity and away from the bugs, so not everything is finished in this picture.

20140820_210340_zpslkmtffhd.jpg

Going to fix the spot on the body, detail the details, and spray testors wet look on it, and try to polish it (never done that w/ a model before)

Edited by JTalmage

I was curious of this kit. I have the 1:1 Z28 convert, so I'll be watching this... CLOSELY. By the way, before having the car resprayed last year i was thinking of something similar to this color instead of the original dark green so this is going to be interesting. Nice first step!

Edited by BigBad

I got carried away and didnt take pictures! I was soo mad at myself for not snapping any pictures! I got caught up in watching Magnum P.I. and I forgot. Lately I turn on netflix and just start gluing stuff together... seems to work, but I forget to do anything else!