Model Cars Magazine Forum

Elenore II I got a crazy idea

rsxse240

Alright, so........ About halfway thru your opening statement I figured "no chance this will ever get done!" Then I got to your sketch drawing and figured "you know? He's onto something here.....but there's still no chance this is getting done!" Well here you are many weeks later, still at it, putting in an amazing amount of work and creating something so out of the ordinary that it's absolutely fantastic!!! Keep at it and prove me wrong please. I've been following along and intrigued to see the final product. I am certain it will be well worth the time spent and appreciated by us all.

Thank you for the encouragement, Chris. I just have not completed a model in about 4 years. I've been continuously working on models and buying them and getting supplies as any plastic addict does, I just keep getting side tracked by other projects and I keep bouncing back and forth between my real car and guitars and models. I was all set to complete the 50 chevy truck custom, but then I saw some nail polish that looked like it would be nice on some customs, so I played with that. I bought some acrylic paints, so I started building a Nissan Leopard (f31) and a R34 skyline GTR. None of which are very close to being done.

I have been very excited by this model, but everything is still going well. As long as I don't clean my work table off, I'll continue. If I clean it off, I'll get distracted and start something else.

I am contemplating rear bumper and side skirts at this time. I like how Andy Brooks' "track rat" looks with the simple side skirts that are very purpose built, but I really want to stick with the Elenore theme, but currently, my real car is suffering from a self destructed transmission, so I may me a bit on the next update.

I have very little progress since I got sidetracked by my disorganized parts box, but what progress I did make is, in my opinion, awesome as it is an essential detail for any Elenore inspired build. THE HOOD!

Like I stated earlier, I used the hood from a Coors Light Silver Bullet sprint car. I removed about 90% of the hood and saved just the top. Attached with some Ambroid pro weld and filled the gaps with strip styrene and some Plumber's putty (I'll get more information on the putty in a bit.) sanded and shaped a little and here it is, not primed just yet. I want to save the full picture for an all at once debut with primer over the whole car.

IMG_1344_zps8ee131e8.jpg

IMG_1345_zpsea59b3a2.jpg

IMG_1346_zpsb391f42a.jpg

IMG_1348_zps6dc99fde.jpg

IMG_1349_zps778b70b9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a LOT of progress, but I did get the hood done, minus paint, of course. I used Tamiya fine gray primer, the stuff is great, I have to say. You may also notice that I made up some side skirts. I used strip styrene and carved/sanded the basic shape. I am debating weather I should go side exit exhaust or rear exit. Likely going with rear exit so I can break up the slab of a rear bumper I am building, which I'll be having an update on that very soon.

Pics:

IMG_20141101_112720_606_zpsw6rdprgy.jpg

IMG_20141102_163845_604_zpswnfx1kys.jpg

You may also have noticed some wheels. I was using the chassis, axle and front suspension from the chassis donor kit, the revellogram 94 mustang GT/95 Mustang Cobra (I had a few partial kits laying around), to check wheel clearance and wheel base. I shortened the chassis by about 3mm and simply cut the sides off down to the "pinch weld" and then trimmed the wheel wells for a perfect fit. I think I'll be building my own interior, but using some aspects from various cobras throughout the years. I'll have pics of the chassis when I actually start working on it.

Very creative idea, and as for your execution on the idea...real rice.

I was always fond of the Mustang II's with V8's, it was just that factory V8's during that period were all anemic. Fast forward a years and I saw some people put "real" 302's in these cars and they made for real fun!

Edited by LouO

I know, Mike, I just put them on there to check fitment, and I thought they looked pretty good. If I can get another Mustang II kit, I may use them and build a mild "realistic" every man car with a healthy motor swap, some racing seats, maybe a cage, just all the things you'd see on performance modded cars, not show stopping super builds or maybe a home built drag car.

Thank you all for your support. If not for you guys, I'd probably have packed it back in and started another model and not finish it.

Update: Rear Bumper, roughed in, still, very much a work in progress. I have the basic shape and some styling but still a long way to go. I was thinking center exit exhaust, but the gas tank is going to be so close to the rear end, it will be impossible, so side exit may still be an option. I may decide to scribe in a "frenched" bumper and apply some BMF. We shall see.

IMG_20141103_223835_527_zpsefprcc6v.jpg

IMG_20141103_223931_509_zpsxwpxhb6h.jpg

I also placed the hood on the body. It looks right at home there

IMG_20141103_224126_252_zps9k0sgnhl.jpg

IMG_20141103_224142_419_zps2uavxe6q.jpg

ahh, that was close, I was nearly bumped from the first page. haha

Little update. I got some pics of the chassis that I modified and I went ahead and cracked open another Cobra vert kit so I could show you the difference in the chassis pre and post modification.

this is a side by side comparo. The un-sullied is the white one, the tainted is black. You can see I cut the section out where the white plastic is on the black chassis. I cut about 2 or 3mm at the rear of the back seat foot well. after doing so, I realized I should have cut somewhere else to save the detail, but I just trudged on and made a new set of foot wells. They look the part to me.

IMG_20141104_220248_790_zpshato81xf.jpg

I took this shot to show exactly what material I had to remove to make it fit the chassis. The black colored section is what was removed. The body fits perfectly at the chassis' pinch weld, so I just chopped the sides off smooth with the lip. As for the fenders, it was a slow process of sanding and test fitting, sanding and test fitting and more sanding and test fitting. It was a slow process, but worth the time.

IMG_20141104_220323_164_zpshiv6qcrc.jpg

Here is a comparison of the rear end. I didn't want to try to fit the stock rear 'trunk area' to the custom rear bumper, so I just chopped it off and decided I'll deal with it later. I wanted to get my wheel base correct.

IMG_20141104_220339_734_zps4uwpys4b.jpg

I know it's not much of an update, I just really wanted to post it up for you guys.

In the Halicki movie they refer to the 73 as the last big Mustang or the last real Mustang. It's been a while since I saw it. I think it was the 2 cops sitting outside the radio station waiting for it to come out. I have the DVD I might pop it in tonight and check it out. By far the best chase scene. Sorry bullit fans but it beats out McQueens chase.

Yeah i love the orig Gone in 60 seconds, watched it hundreds of times from the main chase. Love the orig (and remake is ok) Vanishing Point, again seen hundred of times. Didnt like Bullet at all, seemed to be same car, same bit of street but just from different anges

Dont really understand this MOPAR thing, or why so much love for one make of car and hatred for another.