Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nicky Hayden's 2006 Repsol Ride..

David Thibodeau

I know.. you all were thinking cool! Someone is doing the conversion! No I am sorry to say I am using the Pedrosa kit that comes with 69 decals. I am a big fan of "The Kentucky kid" but dont care if the tins are incorrect on the Tamiya kit. To the glancing admirer it wont matter, but thats just me....:icon16:

Here is my inspiration...

45-vi.jpg

With that said I got to work.

I did strip the frame and swingarm opting for alclad aluminum. The Kit plating is a bit too bright. I think it looks more realistic in alclad. A black wash gives it depth.

P1010028-vi.jpg

Speaking of the tins or body parts they are done too.. I used a mixture of decanted Tamiya orange and Chrome yellow till I had the right hue of orange to match the stripe on the seat cowl decal. (Actually I used Testors Grabber orange the first time and was very unhappy with it only after I had added the tank decals....... They were torn off and the repaint of the orange was done. Thanks to Clay, I have some new tank decals off an 03' sheet on the way... ) The black is actually blue!! So dark it looks black which is Miller lite PPG blue with black added. All of it was covered with dupont clear.

P1010030-vi.jpg

And if you read carefully above, you will know why the tank has no decals!!! :naughty: But look at how well the orange on the tank matches thew seat cowl now!!

P1010031-vi.jpg

Begining of the engine........

P1010029-vi.jpg

Exhaust is complete... ALclad chrome, Tamiya clear orange, blue, and red for the heat staining...

P1010032-vi.jpg

Wheels were painted with Pactra RC Neon Orange followed by Dupont clear...

P1010033-vi.jpg

Very, very nice work. I'm a big Nicky fan, too and it looks like you've paid more attention to his bike than Honda/Repsol ever has. ;)

Took this at Laguna in '05. What a thrill to be there to watch him take the win with Colin taking second. I will be following your build with great anticipation.

248377520-M.jpg

Edited by Delta88

WOW!! so there are some closet MOTOGP Fans here!!! good to see.....

Thanks guys... more to come soon.......

DaveT

No, Dave, I'm not a closet fan...I just appreciate a great looking paint job and build, no matter what the subject matter is...

These days I'm too old to even watch something that fast on TV! ;):lol: But it does make me wish that the weather was good enough to ride my GoldWing! :P:P

So keep 'em comin'!!

WOW!! so there are some closet MOTOGP Fans here!!! good to see.....

Merkur the color on the VC is the same as the block ALclad Magnesium with a light coat of clear yellow over top.. I was trying to emulate the goldish color of the Valve covers on the 1:1 engine.....

Thanks guys... more to come soon.......

DaveT

I've been out of that closet for years.

Here's a couple of mine...

P9250016a-vi.jpg

AugSepPics002-vi.jpg

It's not MotoGP but ...

I converted the stock VF750F into an AMA Super Bike road racer.

P6150017-vi.jpg

Tamiya makes the best engineered models on the planet.

Enjoy your build.