Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air Compressor Assistance

I'm trynig to decide which way to go in the purchase of an air compressor - for air brushing.

Do I go with a Badger or Paasche - smaller sized and compact or.... do I go for a portable one that the PSI can be regulated and can be used else where around the house?

Your opinion is appreciated!

Thanks,

DrewC

To get the most out of your airbrush, you'll need to at least be able to adjust the pressure, and it's also a bonus to have a tank. When you pick a size, keep in mind that compressors are the kind of tools that always make you wish that you bought a bigger one. Once you have one, you'll find a thousand uses for it so I would suggest that you buy the biggest unit you can afford (or fit in the space where you are going to keep it). Those dedicated airbrush units may be good for airbrushing, but that's pretty much all they can do.

Hey Drew, I did alot of research on this when getting mine. The airbrush compressors just for airbrushes sometimes pulsate because they have no tank, and are usually around $100. I went to Wal-Mart and got a two gallon compressor for around $60 and it has two gauges on it one for pressure and one for adjustments. If it was up to me I would have gotten one with a much bigger tank but I had to put it in a Rubbermaid container with foam to keep the noise down in my apartment. It came with a hose and air chucks for filling tires and balls. If you have the room for it I would go for the biggest tank you can afford and put it somewhere you won't hear it.

Thanks Olle & Alvin.... I really appreciate your input. I will look at WalMart however, the local Home Depot and Lowe's are offering some good deals on "smaller" setups; one such deal comes with a nail gun - so, as a home improvement tool my wife will all for it. Each of the set-ups being offered can be 'idaled' down or regulated to 20psi.... I feel I should be o.k. with that for 1/25th 1/24th scale stuff.

So, Alvin, you a pilot?

:)

Thanks Olle & Alvin.... I really appreciate your input. I will look at WalMart however, the local Home Depot and Lowe's are offering some good deals on "smaller" setups; one such deal comes with a nail gun - so, as a home improvement tool my wife will all for it. Each of the set-ups being offered can be 'idaled' down or regulated to 20psi.... I feel I should be o.k. with that for 1/25th 1/24th scale stuff.

So, Alvin, you a pilot?

Hey DrewC

;) just want to know, as a home improvement tool, wife will be all for it. Does that mean that you get the compresser and she gets the nail gun to make home improvements while you work on models, LOL ;):lol:

:P That might cause problems, if she wants to nail and you want to paint. LOL. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously you will be just fine with 20psi, I keep mine set between 25 and 30 psi and it works just fine.

just remember your small model air compressers are not entirely accurate when setting you psi.

Jeff