Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 MPC/1966 Revell Pontiac GTO

heptoman

In order to find a new clear coat, I tested my old Tamiya Countach. Same Testors Fathom Green Metallic (painted 20 hours ago), this time, Mr. Hobby Mr. Super Clear (painted eight hours ago).

Yes, I know I'm testing early, but I want to check all stages of clear coat curing. I'll pull off the tape in about four hours, then test again tomorrow. So help me God, if this doesn't work, I am ditching this project and buying my dad a die-cast model!!!!

WP_20150715_13_23_32_Pro.jpg

And what is keeping me relatively sane during this?

WP_20150715_13_23_50_Pro.jpg

Anyway: other updates.

Front wheel wells:

WP_20150715_13_24_27_Pro.jpg

I had to strip the rear bumper and Alclad the sucker. But now it doesn't perfectly match the front bumper. I'm really proud of the front bumper detail work, I would like to avoid undoing it and stripping factory chrome. Should I?

WP_20150715_13_32_57_Pro.jpg

And a mock-up:

WP_20150715_13_34_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20150715_13_34_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150715_13_34_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20150715_13_35_19_Pro.jpg

Just imagine it with glossy body paint and glass.

WP_20150715_13_37_49_Pro.jpg

I'm thinking your problems with the clear coat had something more to do with the base color than the clear coat, unless you happened to get a bad can of clear.

I've had my own issues with Testors clear & my own reasons for no longer using it, but I've never had adhesion problems like that.

There must have been some reason why it wouldn't stick.

The Tamiya tape is much less "tacky" than your standard masking tape which is why I use a lot of it.

I have had issues with regular masking tape tearing off paint, but it was right down to primer.

I wouldn't mess with the front bumper. It looks too nice!

You'll probably never notice the difference, being on opposite ends of the vehicle.

If it really bothers you, you could leave it off, have it re-chromed & add it later.

Steve

I'm thinking your problems with the clear coat had something more to do with the base color than the clear coat, unless you happened to get a bad can of clear.

Steve - I just think it's a bad product. It's even what Testor's recommends to use with the Fathom Green Metallic!

Thanks for the bumper complement - I'm pretty proud of it as well. B)

In the meantime, while waiting for my order of MSC, I'm working on the 'stang - plenty to do there!