Model Cars Magazine Forum

Russell's Apollo -116 Diamond Reo * complete *

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting, It nice to know there are others who still like "Old School trucks" !

We are back in in business , Thanks Terry for posting the brochures. It took a lot of guesswork out of lengthening the frame. We now have a 180" wheel base. Should not have any problems with a trailer crunching those behind the sleeper stacks now. ;)

P1083756.jpg

I need to round up a few parts to keep this one in forward momentum.

I am looking for one (1) rear parking brake can (nope did not loose it, the post office mangled this kit beyound recognition)

A pair of front Alcoa's (2) and rings (2) from a AMT DD Freightliner if any of you guys swapped them out

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting, It nice to know there are others who still like "Old School trucks" !

No school like old school. Thought I'd use the occasion to dig out what remains of my original http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/med_gallery_12144_1240_329954.jpg, painted with what ended up to be a sort of matte finish Krylon blue. Many of the parts ended up in my http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/gallery_12144_1240_51429.jpg (which needs restoration). But as can bee seen in that first photo link, I still have plans for that original cab and a few of the leftover parts. But, that's likely a much-future project, at the current rate I'm going.

Wow Russel, Thanks for linking your old school stuff ! I have some extra Reo parts I can send you to help you out on your 77'ish project. I really like your C-90-D version also - way cool cab.

I have been working on a 90 series cab during my "wait time" to have for a future project. I havent done any filler work yet as my "hardner" went mia after the move.

P1093759.jpg

Wow Russell, Thanks for linking your old school stuff ! I have some extra Reo parts I can send you to help you out on your 77'ish project. I really like your C-90-D version also - way cool cab. ......

Thanks for the kind words, glad to prompt some of the inspiration your main project here. Thanks also for the parts offer, I'll have to figure out what I have to trade at some future point, parts all need to go to good appreciative homes. The Raider project is quite some distance down the road, but at least I have the front end for it.

Today was tire scuffing day, even though it takes less then 30 seconds a tire I still dread the thought. Also did two snapper tires from my Pete to see how they would turn out.

P1113761.jpg

Terry, that short hood will go in a box for a future build. ;)

Dennis - Thanks for checking in :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Looks good Sean! I really like the old-school looking trucks best! a little late to the game (as usual) but I was going to recommend the KW sleeper for this build. Are you going to do the stacks/exaust behind the bunk as in the brochure pic? I have thought of a similar project in my head,maybe "doll-up" the DR kit with aluminum wheels,maybe a KW "Seminole" style paint job? most built-up DR's seem to be built as strictly work trucks,i kinda want to do an O/O style kit when I get around to it!........................................Mark

Hey Mark, glad you stopped in for a look.

Yes the stacks will be behind the bunk. That has been my ardous task since early this morning. :wacko: Building and piping the exhaust with minimal supplies.

Clayton - I almost gave mine to Goodwill as I had not used in in years. Sure beats scuffing.

Gordon - Thank you :)

Sean,i did the behind the bunk stacks on a Western-Star years ago (long before digital cameras Lol!) I found 10-2 wire separated is about the right size,bends pretty easy seems to hold its shape faily well too to form you exaust piping. IIRD I used "bendy straws" for the elbows,wish I had taken more pictures back then!. BTW,playing around with your White-Freightliner template,been a good help to me,i'll post up some pics when there's something worthwhile progress-wise. I been butchering up a scrap cab I got from another member here,for practice,also lowering the headlights etc...................Mark

Believe it or not I have clocked over 5 hours playing with this exhaust system. White glue is your friend on this type of stuff.

P1123763.jpg

P1123762.jpg

I believe I have it to where once it cures I can remove the piping from the turbo and sand all the seams and fill gap wedges .

Mark - If I knew where my rolls of solder was , I would of went that direction.

I cant find anything since we moved.. <_<

Glad to hear the template has been of use - Looking forward to see what your gonna build !

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I am happy you like the stacks and color.

After seeing Terry's post and the wheels on his Pete I have come to the conclusion my workshop elves have been comparing notes with his.

P2053852.jpg

The frame is now off the "lego" stands and sitting on its own. Engine and trans now installed also.

P2063853.jpg

Thanks for looking in and commenting :)