Model Cars Magazine Forum

Classic 1950's Fire Truck.

Been a few weeks since I last posted, but I have been busy at the modeling table. This time around I'm taking an old glue bomb , and trying to turn it into an actual model I can display. The gist of the build is half a Chevy Coca-Cola pick up, and half of the AMT American LaFrance fire truck . This is a WIP, but here are a few pic's.. Thanks for looking,dave.

Picture001-vi.jpg

Picture002-vi.jpg

Picture005-vi.jpg

Edited by FIREMODELMAN

• 8 months later...

I just found this one today and have to say it is a very nice build!!

I have one quick question though. I know you had to radius the wheel wells, but did you have to stretch them out to cover the tires any?

I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while and was curious.

-Scott H.

I just found this one today and have to say it is a very nice build!!

I have one quick question though. I know you had to radius the wheel wells, but did you have to stretch them out to cover the tires any?

I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while and was curious.

-Scott H.

Haven't seen Dave around for awhile but I can answer your question since I asked the same thing. No he just cut away the fenders so the wheels would fit.

If you want to be completely accurate, yes, you need to widen the fenders, lengthen the hood and fenders and the fenders are slightly taller. The differences are fairly small, so not worth the effort for many.

The larger trucks are 2.3" wider across the fenders and 4" longer windshield to grill. The headlights are 1.5" higher but that may be due to the larger wheels. The cab is the same.

At 1/25 scale you need to widen each fender 0.046" and lengthen the hood and fenders 0.16".

Haven't seen Dave around for awhile but I can answer your question since I asked the same thing. No he just cut away the fenders so the wheels would fit.

If you want to be completely accurate, yes, you need to widen the fenders, lengthen the hood and fenders and the fenders are slightly taller. The differences are fairly small, so not worth the effort for many.

The larger trucks are 2.3" wider across the fenders and 4" longer windshield to grill. The headlights are 1.5" higher but that may be due to the larger wheels. The cab is the same.

At 1/25 scale you need to widen each fender 0.046" and lengthen the hood and fenders 0.16".

Thanks for replying and letting me know.

I'm partial to the way it looks and would more than likely do it the same way if I were to build a similar one. I just like the way the tires are sitting in there the way it is. It also has me wondering what one done up like an over the road tractor would look like.

-Scott H.