Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cutting trunk off amts 66 nova prostreet is it worth it how hard is it

I'm building amts 66 nova pro street and I have a fuel cell and battery out of a maisto nova that I'm might be using I want to know how hard it is to cut the trunk off of it. Is it worth it what do you use to keep it on place. I won't be using hinges bc drag cars don't have hinges in my mind. I think I'm doing good so far for being 16 also building a roll cage for it I'll post pics if it under on the workbench

Welcome to the forum, Alex. Glad to have some younger builders signing up.

I assume you mean opening the trunk, and it's not hard on any styrene model body if you take your time and work carefully. All you really need to do is to repeatedly score the molded-in lines with the back of an X-acto blade, or my favorite, the tip of a razor saw. Be patient, being careful to not cut yourself in the process (we ALL do it sometimes), and eventually the lines will get thin enough to allow the panel to come out.

Depending on the class your mythical car might run in, hinges could very well be necessary for the decklid, and there are several good threads here on making them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Welcome to the forum, Alex. Glad to have some younger builders signing up.

I assume you mean opening the trunk, and it's not hard on any styrene model body if you take your time and work carefully. All you really need to do is to repeatedly score the molded-in lines with the back of an X-acto blade, or my favorite, the tip of a razor saw. Be patient, being careful to not cut yourself in the process (we ALL do it sometimes), and eventually the lines will get thin enough to allow the panel to come out.

That's how I do it, except I break the point off the #11 blade first so it works like a little chisel.