Model Cars Magazine Forum

next step after wet sand

I'm currently working on my Mitsubishi FTO.I have the basecoat laid down and spent the afternoon and evening wetsanding it with 3600 to 12000 and now I have a nice uniform finish with no orange peel. Now my questions:

1. I still need to mask and paint the headlights, tail lights (the backs or inside) chrome silver and the window and door trim black and then add the decals. So question, should I paint the window/door trim and headlights/tail lights and then use the novus system, then place the decals, and then clearcoat? Then, is that when i'll use my rubbing compound and wax?

I tested the polish and wax on an older model, it's Turtle Wax Polish and Meguiars Carnauba Wax and everything turned out pretty well there actually.

I'm just a little confused on the best way to go about getting the best results.

Hi,

If you want to clear coat the decals put the decals on next and clear coat them (you may need to give the next coat of clear coat a light going over with polishing cloths to get rid of orange peel). Use the novus and wax but keep away from areas you'll be spraying different colours. Putting the wax on before masking should reduce the chance of the masking tape pulling the paint off. Mask the model around where you want to spray the headlights etc. and then use paper towel to cover the rest of the model (saves tape and is quicker).