Model Cars Magazine Forum

ford t bird dragster

We all start somewhere. just don't get discouraged too much and definately never give up. Its a learn as you go thing. I remember back when I was 13 building these and brush painting everything..I had no idea what spray paint was or how to use it. My father built models back in the 60's as a kid and finally showed me how to actually paint them with spray paint. At first he painted a couple for me as I watched. Then afterward he turned me loose and let me have a try at it. My first few were alright and were better than anything I could have done with a brush..But I had yet to learn about primers and the different types and brands of paint and what would work and wouldn't work. Most of it was through trail and error. But back then I had no idea paint could be stripped off if I messed up. I didn't learn that trick until years later when I met up with some older builders at my first model contest who a lot of experience and wisdom. One of them suggested the yellow can easy off oven cleaner method..And that what we used back then before all these other methods came about. Works, but I wouldn't suggest using it as it is very caustic and messy. Burns too if you get it on your skin.You have to wear rubber gloves and a resparator as the fumes are quite strong..Currently, I will use easier methods such as purple power in a tupperware container. commonly called the "purple tank" by many. That will usually get most enamel paint off as well as chrome.You can even strip paint off clear plastic with it without harming the plastic..For lacquers and more stubborn paint, such as Tamiya, I'll use 91% isopropyl alcohol. but always use rubber gloves cause this stuff will dry your hands out fast.. Consider yourself fortunate to have the internet and all these resources, instant information and experience from older modelers from across the country to draw from. Something I never had when I was your age as the internet and sites like this didn't exist. keep at it and good luck..

Edited by Rotorbolt73

Spark plug wires can be typically found at your local hobby shop, Thats IF there is one in your local area. You can get creative and use other local sources of material to do the same job. Radio Shack usually carries a selection of various color small gauge wire that comes in spools. Or you can take a old regular telephone wall cord and cut the outer insulation back to reveal the small wires inside and use those. I use some 26 gauge Fiber Craft brand bright wire I found in the floral / craft department of my local wal mart. Been using the same spool of wire for years and probably going on 50 builds with plenty left to use. its unpainted silver wire. But after I put it on the engine, I paint it any color I want..

Your local Hobby Lobby probably has something similar that would work. It just not located in the model kit area. You'll have to ask someone working there or look around..

Edited by Rotorbolt73

Hey Cody , the T birds coming along great.... ;) ...

Can I suggest something here, just finish a couple of kits first. Detail wiring, brake lines, photo-etch etc etc are great additions AFTER you got the basics sorted out.... Get a couple finished first, straight out the box. Learn to spray, look at each build and see what you did wrong and then try and get it better on the next build..... Just don't rush in and expect to build a show winner, this hobby takes practice so take your time mate ! !

Good luck ......... Lowlife ! !

1426037549587_zps2znsbyyp.jpg

Pic of the body as she sits right now i like the silver rivits is what i think they are spose to be got a liltle. Touch up work to do didnt know the glue ate the paint i use blue testors glue thats what the people at hobby lobby told me to get not sure of thats right or not but it works and

Lowlife : thanks for the advise i see some of the scale drag cars in here and im just in awh of how real they look and comming from you guys this means alot.

As always if you see anything im doing wrong let me know plase thank you! As always

Ditch that blue Testors glue..And fast! Its junk and won't hold anything together for long. The Testors glue in the orange tube is better. Thats my primary glue I use. But I also use super glues in the gel type as well.. Some guys on here use a variety of different glues depending on what you're bonding together. Always glue your sub assemblies together first before painting them..Always make sure your glue joints are bare plastic. you will usually have to scrape the paint or any chrome plating off the areas where they join before gluing. You can retouch your glue joints with paint later to cover them up after its dried.. Whenever you get to gluing in the glass, theres a few tricks to it to avoid making a mess of it..In some cases I've seen guys use elmers white glue to hold the glass in because it won't attack the plastic and dries clear. You can also use blue painters tape trimmed to fit and cover/ mask off the glass on both sides to protect it as you glue it into place by the un-masked edges and remove the tape masking after the glue has fully dried. this avoids finger prints and glue mars on the glass.. Never use super glue on clear plastic parts or it will cloud the edges near the glue joint.

Since this is a race car, are you going to put any decals on it?