Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '32 Roadster

Modellpularn

This was started after I won a Monogram Little Deuce on ebay. The kit has been reissued a number of times. And basically all the old parts are there. Except for this yellow plasic issue, which has a small block Chevy. Well, this was supposed to be a 60's hot rod, right, so out with the Chevy, and in with a Buick Nailhead from AMT's 40 Ford. After some "minor adjustments" -quote Juha Airio, it fit like a glove:

IMG_3012.jpg

I liked the firewall from the Li'l Deuce, and decided to do my own version; a custom grille from AMT's 49 Merc, and a bunch of Evergreen half round strips, here just laid in place to check:

IMG_3019.jpg

Finished firewall, recessed into bodyshell, 'cus the magneto would hit the firewall otherwise:

IMG_3022.jpg

Naturally it had to be my favorite color, Candy Red. Tamiya white primer base, followed by Auto-K metallic red, followed by Plasti-Kote Candy Red. It needs some clear, and possibly repaint of the body part, got some white spots on the door.....

IMG_3027.jpg

Edited by Modellpularn

Your roadster is lookin good. I think I like these better,in certain ways, easier to build, headlight bar one piece with headlights molded to the bar. I can drop these bars with a steel axle[AMT"s} alittle luck, and some warm to hot water, so much easier than the new Revell 32's, don't know way they couldn't have moulded headlights and bar in one piece. Could have had two one with stock on dropped bar and one with the littles also, it's not like they can't afford it. Waiting to se it finished, I like'm as low as I can get them.

Nice work so far! I like the Nailhead engine. Its a funny coincidence that I'm working on one right now too. I wound up with three of those after the last club meeting I went to. Two of them were built ups and one was the Basic Builder issue. One of the builtups had the Pontiac engine. It was the nicest part of all three. So nice, in fact, all I'm going to do to it is wire the magneto and blackwash it. I am building the new kit with the old engine and I already have the fenders cut off the frame and the frame's all cleaned up now. Quite a different path for each of us, eh? :) Keep us posted, I want to see how yours turn out!

Thanks guys! In case you're wondering about my choice of wheels..... at first I leaned towards the Rader wheels from AMT's Fireball 500, then I tried Cragar S/S, and maybe yet some chrome reverse, or Astros.....tires will be American Satco with the wide whitewalls. Beautiful tires!