Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for anyone in the auto body industry

I recently purchased a 96 firebird, and after repairing the body damage, and deciding on what aftermarket hood I want, I've decided to two tone it with GM, BPM (BRIGHT PURPLE METALLIC) paint code:88U. It was available on 97-98 models, so it would be "incorrect" but oh well.

My question is if this color is a tri coat, or three stage, whatever you like to call it. I have yet to spray anything 3stage, and im defiently not using my own car as practice.

I may end up using plum krazy as it is similar, and im almost positive its not 3stage.

I believe it is just two stage and you'll want a uniform base primer coat.

If you can shoot single stage then base coat / clear coat is a breeze.

Yeah base clear is actually all I've sprayed. Ive just heard that the three stage paints, which is usually a base a midcoat and a tint, are almost as difficult as spraying candies.

Tri-coat = ground coat, top coat and clear. You spray the ground coat just like any regular basecoat, it is the color, solid and opaque. The top coat is transparent and has the pearl in it. Again, it is sprayed like regular basecoat, as long as you have a good / clean spray gun and spray evenly, there's no problem spraying the top coat. And finally, the clear, we all know what this is...

Tri-coats are not that hard to spray, it just takes more time. The problem is when only painting a part on the car, it's harder to match the color and then blend to a perfect repair that won't show...