Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever heard of one of these?

I know this is a 1:1, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities for a model. However, I am skeptical of it's authenticity. I am old enough to remember the Hertz GT350 "renta-racers" of 1965-66, but not only do I not recall them being sold in 1968, I cannot recall ever seeing one in Lime Gold. Though I headed off to boot camp in 5/68 I was working in Sacramento for Standard Oil right up to that time and was realllllly into all the hot cars of the era. This one puzzles me, though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-GT-350-Real-Shelby-GT350-Hertz-near-mint-surviver-60k-orignal-miles-/320918188789?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ab836f2f5

The original 66 Shelby Hertz cars were sold directly to hertz from Shelby and a special model was made. The 68-70 Shelby's were made by Ford and Hertz picked up a few Shelby's from Ford dealers. Not as many were bought and they are not considered a special model. Just special original owner.

I never knew such a beast ever exsisted. Did'nt all Hertz cars have an "H" in the side stripe ?

You are correct. I enlarged the pics so I could see them better, and there is no "H" on the stripe. A plastic license plate with "HERTZ" does not make it a Hertz car.

I know about these: 1968ShelbyGT500KR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The only real way to find out, is get the vin numbers and run it,,, it will tell the truth,, There are lots of replicas out there, Buyer Beware..

Very true, and all the Shelby parts can be found in the aftermarket -- some of them pirated or bad copies. As you can see I kinda like the old Shelby's I used to see way back then:

069-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by deja-view