Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey modelers any tips on painting the hubcap centers on the new Tamiya Mercedes 300SL.

I use a piece of metal tubing when trying to paint the center of a cap or any small round spot. I dip the tip of the tubing into the paint. I don't use much paint on it as it has a tendency to spread out. I set the part on a piece of tape to hold it in place and since my hands get a bit shaky I use both to bring the tubing straight down on the part.

Practice on spare parts

(Your results may very)

Probably the same technique as suggested in the kit reviews section for dealing with the Gullwing dashboard bezels, etc. -- paint the appropriate area body color (for hubcaps, I'd punch a hole for the entire painted area in masking tape), apply paint, then gently wipe away the paint from the raised star/ring. Might work best with acrylic or other suitable paint, with a really good magnifier.

Personally, I'd rather use knockoff spinners than deal with that. Rumor has it that aftermarket Rudge wheels are on the way.

Edited by sjordan2

PS...

You might look at the "Detailed painting question" recently opened in this section. I think the technique would be related to foiling body scripts and emblems, but without the additional foiling. Sort of what I suggested above.