Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adhesive wide white walls

What a great idea! BUT...I have very little graphic skills on a program like that. I also would not even know where to begin to get that lettering that would need to be in there......so..

Any chance that you saved your hard work as a file......that you would be willing to share? :D

Yep, I will share the file, no problem, but you have to have Auto CAD installed on the PC to print it. Can also draw the same thing on Photoshop, save as a JPG file and send you, but the scale factor would get a little confuse depending on your printing options. The very best, and more exact way is by far Auto CAD. if you draw a 1/8 inch line on it, it will print a 1/8 inch line.

• 2 years later...

Old topic, but I want to bring this back to the fore. If one were to paint the sidewalls tire black for instance, wouldn't that halt the reaction of the vinyl stickers against the vinyl tires?

I have a project down the road where I may need to make my own redline tires. I have one of those circle cutters as Túlio describes in his original post and this curiosity struck me.

Any thoughts?

Good luck with that, Bill - I had a very tough time with the whole thing. Making the Olfa cutter go through the material and having the beginning and end of the circle meet worked maybe one out of four tries, even when I resorted to using a sheet of brass with a tiny hole drilled in the center to steady the center pin. The vinyl tape bit in my earlier post didn't work out after all; I think the tape stretched when I peeled it from the roll, so the wide whites I made eventually shriveled :angry:. I wish you could get a hole punch or a die made to stamp these things.

Chris, I think I'll just stick to using colored decal paper. That'll be much easier to cut through with the circle cutter than trying to get the vinyl material to play nice. I could almost use the redline decals out of a kit that I didn't use them--------problem is for the rear tires, the diameter would be too small. 

On that note, I'm gonna give a hint for my future project--------it'll be a dune buggy, but not just any dune buggy. :P

As far as having a punch or die made............I could get one done where I work as we have a machine shop area in what I do. It's just the time to get the dimensions right, and then reality of this being the only time I might need such a set, and the cost probably not being worth it.

Edited by MrObsessive